Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
notech
Level 7

Unable to cancel scan which has 'hung up'

Jump to solution

Hi,

I've read through a few threads here and I know that McAfee scan hanging on 99% is a very common problem. I have learnt to live with it and simply used to click 'cancel scan' when it got to that point. However, over the last few weeks something must have changed and I am unable to cancel the scan once it gets stuck. I click on 'cancel' but it keeps running. I went to Task Manager and tried to stop it from there by doing 'end task', but it wouldn't have it either. I left it running hoping it would eventually stop, but after 6 hours gave up and rebooted the computer. I have a brand new Toshiba Satellite Win 8.1 with very little on it, so it should not be causing the problem. I went through 'my account' and re-installed McAfee, but the issue persists. How can I stop the scan once it gets stuck on 99%, without having to switch off the computer? I will be grateful for any suggestions.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Re: Unable to cancel scan which has 'hung up'

Jump to solution
11 Replies
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Moved to VirusScan as a better spot for it.

notech
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you

0 Kudos
notech
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you, I've just printed out the instructions from your link. I'll let you know how that works - I hope it will!

0 Kudos
notech
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi Peacekeeper,

Just to let you know your solution worked perfectly. I followed the instructions you've provided, restarted my laptop and run a full scan. The scan was much quicker then before and did not get stuck at any point. It all worked brilliantly, many thanks! If this works, why can't McAfee add it to the software in the first place?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi,

Try to stop Access Protection and then stop the service Scan.exe or Scan.exe or Scan64.Exe.

Please, let me know if that Works.

Best regards,

Jose Maria

notech
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi Jose Maria,

I'd fixed the problem before I got your message - please see Peacekeeper's solution. Thank you for offering your help

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

Jose that is an enterprise fix not consumer thanks for trying to help

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Besides the thread having been answered in the very first reply.

Locking to prevent further additions.

Anyone with a similar problem read post #2 on page 1.

0 Kudos