cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
retiredinaz1
Level 7

Trying to run a scan and I get an error message

Although I have a scedukled scan....I thought I would run a scan while I was here but a pop up window shows with:    "An Error has Occurred.   An Unexpected problem occurred during your scan.  Please click OK to go back to the Home page, and then try running your scan again"

I did....and the same error pops up.

Can you reply also to my e-mail?  Email removed by Moderator for your safety and privacy, we don't contact people personally

Thank you!

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 10/08/13 4:45:17 EDT PM
0 Kudos
10 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Trying to run a scan and I get an error message

The board emails you with the response, we don't.

Can you clarify what version of SecurityCenter is installed please?  Open it and click 'About".

Also what is your operating system and service pack and what version of Internet Explorer is installed - even if you don't use it I need to know that.

0 Kudos
retiredinaz1
Level 7

thank you...

The Security Center version is:   11.6       Virus scan version is:   15.6

I do not use IE anlonger though still have it (version 7 or 8)    I use Google Chrome as my browser

I use Vista Home Premium

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Can you right-click Computer eithyer on your desktop of in the Start Menu and go to Properties and post whether or not it says SP2 (Service Pack 2) please?  Also please open IE and go to Help/About.  If it's less that IE9 then please go to Windoiws Update and install all recommended updates including IE9.

Many processes, including McAfee use that even if you don't.

0 Kudos
retiredinaz1
Level 7

Thank you again........yes, I do have the SP2 and when I clicked on IE it said "thank you for updating to IE9" so I must have that as well

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Good.   Always keep up to date, it's important.

Have you had any other errors popping up from other software maybe?

Try running the McAfee Virtual Technician to see if it finds and fixes any issues:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

Also try running Stinger and Malwarebytes Free, both linked in the last link in my signature below.  To keep Malwarebytes free of charge do NOT accept the free trial offer.

0 Kudos
retiredinaz1
Level 7

I ran the virtual tencnician and it said " The virtual tecnician did not find any products that it could scan. Do you need to install one of the following products or suites"     and thin it lists about ten items

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

That can happen with products that are obtained through 3rd parties such as your ISP or computer-maker would that apply here?   Those companies often alter the software sufficiently to make it unrecognizable to that tool.   No problem.

Use those anti-malware tools to double-check for malware, just in case.

Another thing you can check is the hard drive itself, check it for errors by doing a chkdsk /r which also can repair disk read errors on the fly that could be causing scnas to break down. 

Rather than explain it I'll post a link to a tutorial:  http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67612-check-disk-chkdsk.html  see 4-b.

If all that doesn't fix things then you could try uninstalling all McAfee products via Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program

Then run the MCPR cleanup tool and reboot

Then reinstall from your online account.

If that all fails to improve matters then I suggest Technical Support.  It's free by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

0 Kudos
lmadiedo
Level 7

So, I have the same problem right now, the way I see, like Microsoft, we paid for a product (in this case McAfee antivirus), I even paid for three years subscription, then we have to solve the problem, uninstalling and reinstalling and more and no warrantee the solution is that one.

Couldn't be a better solution?

Luis

Software developer

Note: To save time with questions. The McAfee versions that I have are the same than retiredinaz1.

Message was edited by: lmadiedo on 11/5/13 8:02:10 PM CST
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

No software carries a 100% guarantee.  Have you followed the steps in this thread?

If they don't help, Technical Support is available 24/7 free of charge by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 05/11/13 9:06:31 EST PM
0 Kudos