I have an unusual problem. I purchased McAfee Internet Security 2011, 3 -user license CD, and was able to install it on my laptop. However, I am unable to install in on my second computer, which is a desktop (Dell). The system accepts the CD and does the AutoPlay loading the CD program. It wants to go to the internet and install the very latest version, which I allow it to do. After about 15 minutes its wraps up and seems to be almost done, but then pops up a screen saying in was unable to install the program. I tried to install directly from the CD, but it gives me the same error dialogue box. Very frustrating!
It did go ahead an delete my McAfee 2010 Virus software already, so now my child is running unprotected and I can't get the new software loaded. Any ideas? The error that pops up is called the dldinstfail 2011. I copied a similair picture shown in the help menu for the 2010 virus program.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
I would like to know some information before we proceed further.
I am running Windows XP, and no new hardware changes have been made to the PC. I am not getting any Malware or Trojan alerts.
Please follow the steps below and retry the installation;
Open Internet explorer - Click on Tools - Then Click windows update - Install the important Updates from Windows (If any)
Click on start - Click Run - type - appwiz.cpl , (now you will be in the installed programs list). Make sure that you are not running any other security software in the computer that might interrupt the installation. Make use of this document to find out different security applications.
Run the McAfee removal tool from here and restart the computer. - This will help us remove McAfee traces from the machine
After its restarted, run the Mcprenstall tool from here and retry installation .
Well, I finally was able to get the Virus security system installed. The Windows updates were current, and I went ahead and ran the McAfee removal tool that you sent in your email link. I rebooted and still had the same problem. After the 5th try, the software finally took from the online connection. Don't know why, but it worked.
Thanks for your help, but I don't know if this is a useful link for future help for others.