cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
musclebuster
Level 7

Tried to search for updates for McAfee LiveSafe, but the update function doesn't initialise.

Jump to solution

While choosing to manually search for updates for McAfee LiveSafe yesterday, I clicked on 'Check for Updates', and it went to start its search, but the next screen popped up with Completed 0% etc. - and then immediately goes back to the main menu without even initialising.

Now, even with Automatic Updates active, it shouldn't normally do this (I've manually checked in the past and never had this problem). So I ran Virtual Technician and it picked up some unresolved issues - product configuration XML file missing - for the following:

VirusScan 16.8.821

QuickClean and Shredder 12.8.710

SecurityCenter 12.8.992

Personal Firewall

Parental Controls 14.8.702.0

AntiSpam 13.8.716

McAfee Vulnerability Scanner 2.8.716

McAfee Home Network 6.8.721

Could the Updates issue be caused by this (for the record, I ran Vulnerability Scanner yesterday as well, and it worked fine)? If so, how do I replace the missing XML files needed? And if not, has anyone else had this problem and know what to do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
catdaddy
Level 20

Re: Tried to search for updates for McAfee LiveSafe, but the update function doesn't initialise.

Jump to solution

First and foremost, make certain you are current and up to date with Windows,to include Internet Explorer, McAfee and other important programs require it to be, in order to function properly.

Given the fact that MVT reported a "Product Configuration xml file missing. Short of contacting Technical Support. I would recommend that you perform a clean Uninstall/Reinstall. Remove from your Control Panel/Programs and Features first/Restart. Then follow up with the McAfee MCPR Tool/Restart.

Then you can go to your registered account and Download/Install. Let it fully load and restart one more time. How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool (MC...  I would also add,if you allow McAfee to retrieve anonymous files. It will automatically assist you to install features such as Safekey.

If you feel uncomfortable doing so, you can always contact Technical Support 24/7, Via Phone/Chat being quicker. 

Finally, if you do not have your Windows Updates set up as (Automatic) the upcoming Tuesday is "Update/Patch" Tuesday. There will be a New Version of Adobe Flash Player also.

Please apprise us of your results, in case you require further assistance.

Wishing you all the very best,

Catdaddy

McAfee Volunteer Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
12 Replies
catdaddy
Level 20

Re: Tried to search for updates for McAfee LiveSafe, but the update function doesn't initialise.

Jump to solution

Moved from Security Awareness to Virus Scan- By Moderator

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

First and foremost, make certain you are current and up to date with Windows,to include Internet Explorer, McAfee and other important programs require it to be, in order to function properly.

Given the fact that MVT reported a "Product Configuration xml file missing. Short of contacting Technical Support. I would recommend that you perform a clean Uninstall/Reinstall. Remove from your Control Panel/Programs and Features first/Restart. Then follow up with the McAfee MCPR Tool/Restart.

Then you can go to your registered account and Download/Install. Let it fully load and restart one more time. How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool (MC...  I would also add,if you allow McAfee to retrieve anonymous files. It will automatically assist you to install features such as Safekey.

If you feel uncomfortable doing so, you can always contact Technical Support 24/7, Via Phone/Chat being quicker. 

Finally, if you do not have your Windows Updates set up as (Automatic) the upcoming Tuesday is "Update/Patch" Tuesday. There will be a New Version of Adobe Flash Player also.

Please apprise us of your results, in case you require further assistance.

Wishing you all the very best,

Catdaddy

McAfee Volunteer Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
musclebuster
Level 7

Jump to solution

Ah, I see.

To both my annoyance (because I feel as if I'm wasting everyone's time) and joy (because of, well, what I'm about to say), the Update function suddenly kicked in when I tried it again not long after I posted my original query. Not sure why or of course why it stopped to begin with, but, well, yeah.

On the other hand, I'll look into un- and reinstalling LiveSafe via your link (seems drastic to me, BUT if it's via McAfee themselves doing it, then I'm cool with that). Bit sad that I have to resort to such measures, but there we go. Three questions, though: If I remove LiveSafe, does Windows Defender and Windows Firewall automatically kick back in as result during that time or do I have to manually start them back up again myself? Do I have to redo all my LiveSafe setting when it's reinstalled (probably a silly question, I know)? And would simply reinstalling via my McAfee consumer account without using the  MCPR work just as well?

Thanks very much for your help!

Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

Actually in windows 7 you can safely leave it (Windows Defender) active if you wish.  McAfee turns it off on installation but in any system, except 8, Defender is OK to be turned on.   (In 8 it has an antivirus component so should remain inactive).

Mcafee uses part of the windows firewall so its service is running the McAfee install handles setting it up.

Re reinstall you need to first run the windows removal of McAfee to free up your licences and MCPR to clean up the bits left. Always a good idea to do the latter.

RE the setting some settings might be remembered but all allowed programs etc need to be reallowed as they are run.

floris237
Level 7

Jump to solution

Dear catdaddy,

Unfortunately I'm stuck with the same problem. My McAffee Livesafe Internet security version 12.8.992, does not want to update anymore. It stays on 0% when i manually start the update, even after 10 minutes. Therefore I tried to re install the program, through your advise. But when I try to remove the program using windows add/remove programs or Revo Uninstaller, I am not able to select which program I want to remove and am therefore unable to re install the program. Could you give me some advise on what to do with this issue?

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Don't ever use Revo uninstaller with licensed software.  McAfee has it's own removal tool but to release a license it's best to uninstall via Control Panel first.

What operating system and service pack is this?

Are you logged in as a user with Administrative authority?  See the link below for how to uninstall the software. Probably your best idea would be to contact Technical Support as they are free to phone or to use their online chat, see link below.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)

How To Uninstall/Reinstall McAfee Consumer Products EXCEPT Anti-Theft
How To Submit A False Detection To McAfee
Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

0 Kudos
floris237
Level 7

Jump to solution

Dear Peter,

Thank you for your response. I did not know that about Revo, but I will keep it in mind.

Unfortunately this is the result if I try to re install McAfee (see the image below, its dutch but there you can the uninstaller is not able to find the program).

My operating system is Windows 8.1 with all the latest updates installed and I'm logged in as a user with administrative authority. If you know a quick fix I'd be happy to know!

Thanks again for your reply and I'll get in touch with the technical support!

mcafee.jpg

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

As the McAfee interface used Internet Explorer to display make sure IE is version 11 and that it's at default settings.  It doesn't have to be your preferred browser.  Run the Virtual Technician to see if it finds and fixes anything:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

Please know that the Excellent advice/suggestions that Colleague Ex_Brit afforded should assist you in resolving your issues. Actually the only thing I would add, is to please NEVER use registry cleaners either. For they do more harm than good.

Simply stick to your Windows Disk Clean Utility or McAfee Quick Clean. And even then I recommend not to use the Registry option.

Wishing you all the very Best,

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos