I'm not sure this is the right discussion group but here goes ...
I'm using Thunderbird 11.0 and it is configured to download emails from several webmail accounts. This has worked without problems for a very long time. However, suddenly, for just one of these accounts, it has started to repeatedly download the same message (which I'll call message X) in place of any messages on the webmail server. So if the server has messages A, B and C waiting to be downloaded, then I receive three copies of X in their place, and A, B and C then appear in the Trash can of the webmail account. Message X, by the way, was a message sent on 16 March and it no longer exists on the webmail server, in either the Inbox or the Trash Can, so I've no idea where Thunderbird dredges it up from.
I'm also running McAfee Security Centre 11.0.654 with McAfee Virus Scan 15.0.294 (these are part of a package called BT NetProtect Plus provided by my ISP which I've used for a long time with Thunderbird). If I temporarily disable real-time scanning, then the problem disappears and Thunderbird correctly downloads any messages on the webmail server. However, once real-time scanning is restarted, then Thunderbird reverts to downloading a copy of message X for each message on the server.
Has anyone experienced a similar problem and, more to the point, do they know how to fix it?
I've also posted a similar message on a Mozilla forum in the hope of getting the Thunderbird perspective.
I've given up on McAfee. I'd rather have Thunderbird working correctly and then have something else for virus protection.
I'd installed McAfee Total Protection twice, set it to not scan email attacvhments and not to automatically update. This worked fine.
Today, McAfee popped up and said a PROGRAM update was installed please reboot. At this point I didn't have any choice. Eventually I would need to turn off the computer and restart it.
I did, and the newer type user interface (with the squares) instead of the old (section in columns) appeared. And Thunderbird jammed up and quit working again.
I used Add/Remove programs to remove McAfee and then used MCPR.exe to completely remove McAfee.
Thunderbird now worked correctly.
I installed Microsoft Security Essentials.
I have a 3-computer McAfee installation and have it installed on another computer plus a laptop. I'll leave it running on these computers, since I don't use Thunderbird on them. I just renewed it for a year, so I have a while to make a decision about what to use when renewal comes up again.
Rumor has it that McAfee is aware of this problem and promises a fix by the end of the 1st quarter of 2013. I'll wait until I see some further information.
I started having similar problems. I am running TB 17.0.2 and Security Center 12.1, Virus Scan 16.1. Causes TB to open slow and freeze. I have to turn off real time scanning to download and read mail. Subscription runs out in Aug. If not resolved by Easter, I too am OUT OF HERE FOREVER,
It certainly seems so. I never had to move emails from the inbox to sub folders before. I have used Thunderbird for maybe three years or so. Very recently I have found the combination of whatever Mcafee have done in an update and Thunderbird useless. I spend what seems like hours waiting for the pc to catch up