cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Thunderbird 24 Slow to Delete Messages

https://community.mcafee.com/message/307801#307801

This post in Securtiy Center is similar to my issue.

As of today, January 30, 2014 the issue has gotten worse. 

Slowness to delete in Thunderbird has returned to about 30 seconds even with Scan email attachments turned off.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 13 of 21

No I have several logs and dump files submitted to McAfee to fix this issue but everything works fine with email attachments disabled. I assume you have the IM messaging option disabled as well?

If reinstalling not an option or does not fix it I would report the issue to Tech support as they need to log the issue. Only 2 users reporting here seem to have slw downs when the email attachment workaround is used.

REmoval methos

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

and reinstall from your account

I found that I had a chat/IM account set up from a long time ago that I never use.  On your advice, I have deleted it.

I have deleted 3 emails so far and all have been relatively instantaneous.

I look forward to any fixes allowing me to re-enable email attachment scanning.

I will post again if slowness returns.

Thanks,

Dan

I know this is an OLD message thread, but I am on TB 24.5.0 on a NEW computer that came with McAfee LiveSafe. I have the same problem (and more).

It seems to be working fine as far as bringing in e-mails and filtering spam. However when I press the DELETE button there is quite a delay deleting some, but not all e-mails. I can not see and reason why some and not all? The delay varies. Sometimes it is so long I think I didn't press the button. Pressing it again not only deletes the desired e-mail, but the one after it once TB 'wakes up'.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Irv

It may be old, but it is not really resolved.  The problem you describe is exaclty what happens to me. 

The only thing that works for me is to disable scanning of email attachments.  Additionally, the problem will sometimes return after a McAfee update.  I need to select scan email attachments and "Apply" then disable it and Apply.

McAfee TP.jpg

There is a more active thread for basically the same problem at [SecurityCenter] Re: Thunderbird 24.0.1 and McAfee Security Center Very Slow

Message was edited by: deepskydan on 5/31/14 8:11:37 AM CDT

Message was edited by: deepskydan on 5/31/14 8:21:54 AM CDT

Thanks for the reply. I did see that thread, but I am on LiveSafe, slightly different GUI. Did find the same though, will see if that works. Hope so.

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 18 of 21

ispalten wrote:

I know this is an OLD message thread, but I am on TB 24.5.0 on a NEW computer that came with McAfee LiveSafe. I have the same problem (and more).

It seems to be working fine as far as bringing in e-mails and filtering spam. However when I press the DELETE button there is quite a delay deleting some, but not all e-mails. I can not see and reason why some and not all? The delay varies. Sometimes it is so long I think I didn't press the button. Pressing it again not only deletes the desired e-mail, but the one after it once TB 'wakes up'.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Irv

Technical Support knows about these issues and they are working on them, not helped by Thunderbird's rapid-fire upgrading schedule.   As the previous poster stated, best to disable email scanning in SecurityCenter > Real - Time Scanning > Settings for now.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 31/05/14 9:17:51 EDT AM

Ex_Brit wrote:

ispalten wrote:

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Irv

Technical Support knows about these issues and they are working on them, not helped by Thunderbird's rapid-fire upgrading schedule.   As the previous poster stated, best to disable email scanning in SecurityCenter > Real - Time Scanning > Settings for now.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 31/05/14 9:17:51 EDT AM

Thanks, did that. Will if be 'possible' to know when it is fixed and can be turned on again? Or is this a 'try it and see' sort of deal?

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 20 of 21

You'd have to open your own case with Technical Support and then you would be notified of any fixes.  It also may or may not appear here, depends on the information and if it gets to us first.