cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mun112233
Level 7

Should i delete my quarantined files?

Hi everyone. Im posting because i had a scheduled scan which found a PUP. The PUP is called CryptDomalQ. It says it has affected 5 files. I dont know what it is, i wanted to delete it but then saw that one of the affected files is Registry Key and two other files are SYSTEM files. The system files say SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/SafeBoot/AlternateShell. So i was worried if i delete these files i may not be able to boot up or have some serious problems.  I have quarantined it for now but im a worrier and i would prefer to delete it so that i know it wont cause any problems in the future.

Sorry if this isnt the correct place to post im new to this and wasnt sure what to do.

Thank you

0 Kudos
25 Replies
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Re: Should i delete my quarantined files?

Asking one who knows more re this

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

What system files are infected

0 Kudos
mun112233
Level 7

Hi Thankyou for the fast reply.

Last night i turned my laptop off and then on after which the quarantined file is greyed out so i cant click on it to see the files infected and i cant delete it either. The registry file just simply said Registry Key. One of the system file names i mentioned in my original post, the second one i believe was the same but with a few more words to it.

I think theres something wrong with laptop it seems a bit unstable and i had a BSOD 2 days ago. So i think i may need to refresh it and hope that this matter resolves. Although this has nothing to do with McAfee i was wondering if i did refresh in windows 8 will there be a problem if system files are infected or should it still manage to reverse this.

Thank you so much for your help.

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

You can view the Threat Detection from Mcafee for (PUP-FJP) in the removal instructions given, it states to (Disable) your System Restore and run a "FullScan" Since McAfee detected both , it should delete and remove the mentioned Pups. The McAfee info can be found HERE  Of course you will need to turn System restore back on,after completion of Removal.

You can click on the (Removal Instructions) and  it will explain how to turn off System Restore/Turn back on.

Virus Total indicates at least (30) Anti-Virus Engines have detected this as well, of course with their own individual Detection Names. It can be found HERE

All the very best,

Regards,

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 6/20/14 7:39:15 AM EDT
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
mun112233
Level 7

I did read this somewhere on the mcafee website but i was worried if i turn off system restore as my laptop is being a bit weird if in the time i scan and something goes wrong ill be in trouble with it.  Or am i just over thinking. Thankyou for your help.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

mun112233 wrote:

I did read this somewhere on the mcafee website but i was worried if i turn off system restore as my laptop is being a bit weird if in the time i scan and something goes wrong ill be in trouble with it.  Or am i just over thinking. Thankyou for your help.

That advice stems from the fact that some infections can hide in the System Protection folders and by temporarily disabling it, those are all deleted.   We tend to advise that step when infections recur and it isn't obvious why.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

I assume you have mcafee security centre 13.6? The greyed out quarantine list is a bug that is about to be fixed. The system files relate to safe mode Iunderstand.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 20/06/14 9:54:36 PM
0 Kudos
mun112233
Level 7

Ok i will have a look at it tomorrow as i wont be able to do it today. My mcafee software is on automatic updates so hopefully it should update and i can see the files again. Once i can see them i will post a picture of the files affected. Thankyou for your help so far.

0 Kudos

I got the same two files in my scan today!  I don't know what to do with them and don't know what they are.

0 Kudos