cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmt
Level 7

Scheduled Scan runs very slowly and effectively stops the laptop

I'm using McAfee Internet Security on a Windows 7 laptop, but recently the Scheduled Scan almost comes to a stop at 81% ( not sure if this is coincidence but this is around the 250,000 files mark) and effectively stops the laptop being used for anything.

It stops me using any other application when at this point - i assume McAfee is using all the system resources. I'm creating this question from another machine because it won't let open IE and a webpage on the machine in question. Laptop is W7, 64 bit, i7 8 core processor with 16gb RAM so I can't see that it would be a hardware issue. Hard drive has 50gb free.

I can't cancel the scan, the pause is greyed out. Even shutting the machine down will now take 30 minutes plus.

What's wring with it? As it is the machine is unsable during a scheduled scan. What can be done, apart from the obvious option to unistall this software and try something different.

Security centre version 13.6 / build 13.6.1599 / last updated 08/04/2016

McAfee Antivirus and Antispyware version 17.6 / build 17.6.569 / last updated 08/04/2016

Thanks, Jon

0 Kudos
6 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Scheduled Scan runs very slowly and effectively stops the laptop

It must be having trouble unpacking a compressed/zipped file, but that's only my guess.  I hope you haven't been running registry cleaners as they can often cause this.

Make sure that Windows 7 is totally up to date, also make sure that IE is up to date (IE11), even if you never use it.

Make sure Flash and Java are up to date also and that your System Clock is accurate.  Just trying to cover all bases here ;-)

Use Task Manager to end the scan, it will take a while but will stop eventually.  The stop button in the software is disabled if the software is in the middle of scanning a large folder.

Your versions look old to me so I wonder if your software is provided by a 3rd party?

Download the Virtual Technician and run it, see if it finds problems and fixes them for you.  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

0 Kudos
jmt
Level 7

Thanks Peter,

It is progressing through the scan at 81%, just very slowly. The file names being scanned didn't look like zip folders/files - just dll's etc...

I haven't a clue what a registry cleaner is, let alone run any!

Software is updated directly via the internet - I have full admin rights, it;s not a corporate image.

How do I use task manager to stop the scan? I've tried so stop the relevant 'process' that but it told me it was locked.

I'll download the virtual technician and see if that can find anything...

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

The easiest way is to right-click the bottom taskbar and select "Start Task Manager"

You just then click End Task on the Applications tab.

Once stopped then do the MVT thing.

0 Kudos
jmt
Level 7

it doesn't show as an application, just in Processes. I had to shut laptop down to stop it (which took 22 minutes).....

Running the MVT now.... 

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Both build and engine dates are over 1 mth old so update not working and 13.6 version way behind current.. Who did you get Mcafee from and what operating system.. What is the affid number in the about details box under the 13.6 version build number.

0 Kudos

Hi jmt,

Please try the below steps

1. Disconnect the external devices connected to the computer

2. Open McAfee and Run Quick Clean from Navigation on Top Right

3. Select Quick Clean and Click Clean

4. Run Scheduled Scan

5. If it stuck at any %, share the screen shot of the same. 

Was my reply helpful? If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?