cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
simongdawson
Level 7

Scheduled Scan does not start

I am running Total Protection on one PC and two Laptops.  When not in use the PC is in sleep mode and the two laptops are shut down.  All three computers are set to do a scheduled scan at 03.00 on each Sunday, and for many years I have used this setup, the scan starting as soon as I start using the computers after 03.00 on Sunday morning.  I  have Security Center 10.5 and VirusScan 14.5.  For the last few months the sceduled scans have failed to start on all three computers, and the only way I can get the scan to start is to do a manual scan.  Virtual Technician gives a clean bill of health - no problems found.  Any ideas how to get the sceduled scanning to operate again please?

Message was edited by: simongdawson on 31/10/10 14:20:27 GMT
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Aldrin
Level 12

Re: Scheduled Scan does not start

Could you please let us know the Operating System details of all your computers ?

0 Kudos
simongdawson
Level 7

All three computers are running Vista with all updates.  For clarification the computers are scheduled to scan at 03.00 on Sundays but are not switched on until some hours later.

0 Kudos
Aldrin
Level 12

Just to make sure there are no issues with the Windows Task Scheduler, please try the following:

1. Click on Start> Type services.msc> Check for Task Scheduler> Make sure the service is set as automatic and enabled

task scheduler.JPG

2. Open Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Task Scheduler> Click on Create Task> just for testing purpose, add Calculator as a task. Assign the task time to run after 15 minutes, check whether it runs accordingly on all the 3 computers

Please try the above and update us on the same

0 Kudos
simongdawson
Level 7

Answer to 1 - Yes, all OK.

Answer to 2 - I set up the calculator scheduled task but it didn't work.  I finally got it to work automatically by selecting the 'settings' tab under the calculator task and checking the box for 'Run task as soon as possible after a scheduled start is missed'.

Is there a similar box somewhere for the McAfee Scheduled scan?

Message was edited by: simongdawson on 07/11/10 12:24:16 GMT

Message was edited by: simongdawson on 07/11/10 12:24:42 GMT
0 Kudos
Aldrin
Level 12

No not really, but if possible contact your computer manufacturer and make sure there are no issues with the Task Scheduler in your computer.

0 Kudos
simongdawson
Level 7

Update:- my main PC mysteriously started doing its scheduled scans again two or three weeks ago.  The two laptops still don't do it and I have to do a manual scan...  It is a mystery.

0 Kudos
Dinz
Level 16

Did you have any issues with task scheduler in the laptops ?

0 Kudos
simongdawson
Level 7

Not that I am aware of.  The strange thing is that after the problem appeared on all three machines at around the same time but that it should correct itself on only one machine.  Maybe I'll try uninstalling and then reinstalling McAfee on one of the laptops and see if that sorts it on that machine.

Message was edited by: simongdawson on 17/12/10 07:24:35 GMT
0 Kudos
simongdawson
Level 7

This morning, Sunday, I switched on all three machines at around 10.00am and for the first time in months they all three eventually started the scheduled scan.  I don't know what has changed (nothing I have conciously done, that's for sure!) but this looks like the end of an unsolved mystery...

Thanks to all those who tried to help.

0 Kudos