cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joe777
Level 7

Scan starts when computer is "awakened" in AM, not as scheduled in PM

Hi,

When I "awaken" my pc in the AM by hitting the space bar, McAfee starts scanning, even though it's scheduled to scan on Friday night at 8:00PM.  Using windows 7.  Please advise.

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos
7 Replies
newjack
Level 12

Re: Scan starts when computer is "awakened" in AM, not as scheduled in PM

I have also posted this about a week ago,mine was a 4am scheduled scan that went off around 4 pm.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Check your system clock for accuracy both time and timzezone-wise.  Note that any McAfee tasks ongoing when the computer enters the sleep state will stop and continue at wakeup.  Was the scan in progress or about to start at the time it went to sleep?

It will not wake the machine up to conduct a scan.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 31/01/10 4:45:13 EST PM
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Moved to VirusScan 13 - 2009 which I assume is the version being discussed.

0 Kudos
newjack
Level 12

So if your scheduled to scan at 4am and your not on the computer and log in the next day,this is when your scheduled scan would start?

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Yes.

0 Kudos
MoxieMomma
Level 7

Ex_Brit wrote:

<snip>  Note that any McAfee tasks ongoing when the computer enters the sleep state will stop and continue at wakeup.  Was the scan in progress or about to start at the time it went to sleep?

It will not wake the machine up to conduct a scan.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 31/01/10 4:45:13 EST PM

I had similar issues with tasks, as well as running my UPS software (that contains an automatic shutdown feature) when I first got this Vista box.

With the UPS, it turned out that Vista cuts off any USB devices when it goes into sleep (or hibernation?) mode.

(Ain't no point in having a UPS with shutdown feature if it can't do the shutdown if it needs to happen when the computer is "asleep" and "disconnected" from the UPS!).
So, after some fiddling with Dell and Microsoft, I had to devise a workaround with a custom power plan that essentially does not put the CPU into sleep mode.

However, if, for some reason, I power down the system overnight, as Peter suggests, the "overnight" scan that was supposed to start at 1 AM will start at whatever time I power up in the morning, "making up" for the missed scan.

I haven't run into this problem yet on my Win7 laptop, but I assume that Peter is correct about tasks (including McAfee scans) not happening when the computer is asleep.

(Vista and 7 are a bit more complicated about power settings than XP was - the whole "sleep" vs "hibernation" thing makes my head swim.)

So, you might need to adjust your power plan settings so that the computer stays "awake" overnight (or whenever you want your scans to run).

You can set the monitor/display to turn off, but leave the CPU running.

This works OK in Vista and should work OK in 7, I would think.

MM

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

All these different things could be a factor.

0 Kudos