cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cshumate
Level 7

Real-time scanning will not restart after update

Predictably, after each McAfee update followed by the first re-boot, Real-time scanning fails to start, and seems to hang in an endless loop, trying to restart.

I then de-install McAfee Total Protection, do MCPR, and reinstall. It is then OK until the next McAfee update, when the cycle repeats.

This has been going on for several months, and I'm tired of this process!

Any thoughts as to cause and cure?

My environment is Win 7. Of Total Protection, I'm only running anti-virus (so I'm wasting money spent on the many other features.)

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
5 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Real-time scanning will not restart after update

Is your system clock accurate, both time and timezone-wise?

What software are you using for your firewall?

What other security software do you have installed?

Is Windows 7 SP1 and totally up to date including IE11?  (McAfee uses IE regardless of your default web browser).

The behaviour you are observing shouldn't be regarded as predictable, and although reported in these forums, isn't normal.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 25/11/13 5:45:29 EST AM
0 Kudos
cshumate
Level 7

Thanks, Peter, for those ideas.

I did check, and have upgraded to IE11, but that has not solved the problem.

My firewall is Windows firewall, not McAfee.

System clock is accurate in all respects.

Any other thoughts?

Many thanks,

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Are you actually booting up or coming out of sleep or hibernation?   I believe the software has been known to periodically fail in that scenario but Technical Support would be best to troubleshoot that.  It's free of charge by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Before connecting it will ask you to run the Virtual Technician, which can sometimes fix things all by itself.

You can try it in advance here:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/ if you want to.

0 Kudos
cshumate
Level 7

Curiously enough, I ran Virtual Technician for about 12 hours and it never finished. I then canceled it.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

It should only take minutes to run.   You can either try the full uninstall routine:  via Control Panel - Programs, then run MCPR cleanup, reboot and reinstall from the online account, or you can contact Technical Support - it's free and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

0 Kudos