cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matlet
Level 7

Real-time scanner never completes startup

Jump to solution

I have been having this problem for quite some time where the real-time scanner stays in perpetual start-up mode and never completes. This causes MVT tool to hang when "checking components". I have done everything in the forums, run all the tools for malware, etc. and re-installed more times that I can count. I have worked with McAfee techs three times and all we do is re-install. This fixes the problem for 3-14 days and then it hangs again. I have a 3 PC license and this is the only PC with issues, so obviously the issue is something to do with my PC's setup. I have a Lenovo E530, Win7 Home Premium 64-bit, 6 GB memory, Intel i5. Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Mark

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Re: Real-time scanner never completes startup

Jump to solution

Yes sounds as if you need a higher level tech support as Peter says. Can you post the job numbers you got from the calls please. Another thought try resetting IE11 to its defaults.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Is your machine connected to the Internet every day in order for it to update?   Also is this Windows 7 SP1?  Plus does it have IE11 installed?  It doesn't have to be your default browser but as McAfee uses it for functionality, it is wise to make sure it is up to date.

Also are you shutting the machine down periodically?   Software updates benefit from a shutdown once in a while to work properly.

If your Windows 7 is not SP1 please read here: 

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Moved this to VirusScan as a better spot for it.

0 Kudos
matlet
Level 7

Jump to solution

Yes, the PC is always connected and Windows Update is set for auto-update. I have Win7 SP1. I had to check, but yes I have IE11 and it is also set to auto-update. I sporadically reboot, however I do always reboot first when I have these issues. Several reboots does not fix it.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Well that takes care of those concerns, thanks.  This is very odd but I don't see how support expects us to find something they can't.  Did they escalate the case to a higher level for you?

0 Kudos
matlet
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi. No, it was never escalated because removing and reinstalling the software always fixes it for a period of time. They were never able to determine a root cause issue.

0 Kudos
matlet
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have reset IE 11, but will need to reboot to see if that fixes it. Will let you know.

I checked through Program Files and didn't see any anti-virus folders of the competitors. I know the PC came with an intro version to Norton, but I have already used the tool to remove all traces of that.

Windows Update ran and created an automatic restore point on Thursday, however I was already having the hung Real-Time Scanner the day before.

I found two of my case #'s: 1238626719 10/25/13 and 1529484293 7/16/14. I have had to do the reinstall thing multiple times in between and also since July.  I did not log a call this time and instead went straight to this forum. I have found many suggestions over the years from this forum that have proven helpful. I wasn't optimistic about logging another call and having to reinstall again.

Thank you,

Mark

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

If resetting IE does not help best leave this to Selvan from the tier 2.5 support area to discuss with you. I feel he will need to connect to your PC to see what is causing this.

0 Kudos
matlet
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you Peacekeeper, Chinthanai and Ex_Brit for your support and guidance. I reset IE 11 back to its defaults and I have had no troubles since then. Problem solved. Thank you very much.

Mark

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

Thanks good to hear.

0 Kudos