cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sophiamarie
Level 7

Real-Time Scanning is Off...and I can't get it to turn on.

Jump to solution

I'm running Windows 7, 64-bit.  McAfee Total Protection 2010 keeps alerting me that Real-Time Scanning is off, however, when I click on "turn on" it stays on for only about 3 seconds.  I connect to the internet wirelessly from my notebook.  Can anyone give me some ideas on how to fix this irritating issue?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Real-Time Scanning is Off...and I can't get it to turn on.

Jump to solution

I just posted a link to help someone with the same malware here.. https://community.mcafee.com/message/214270#214270

Yes registry cleaners can be just as bad as malware at destroying software.  You will learn that through experience.

Uninstall McAfee via Control Panel, run the MCPR cleanup tool linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.  Reboot and reinstall from your online account...and get a divorce from Registry Mechanic... Been there, done that and had to reinstall Windows time and time again, so got the T-Shirt too.

;-)

0 Kudos
25 Replies
ccmango
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem. What can we do??

I also get continual pop-ups saying my computer is unprotected and I need an update.

0 Kudos
Dinz
Level 16

Jump to solution

Hello All,

The real time scanner gets disabled die to various scenarios like conflict with a different antivirus scanner , malware infections or some times with incomplete updates.

Please check the following to update and enable real time scanner;

* Check and delete if you have any other antivirus software in add/remove programs
* Checked and delete any folder for third party security software from C:/program files and common files

Click Start, Run, type services.msc, and click OK.

NOTE: Windows Vista and 7 users should click the Windows Orb, type services.msc in the search box, right-click services.msc, select Run As Administrator, then click Continue.

1. Locate the McShield service and check the status. If the status is Stopped, right-click the McShield service and click Start.
  2. When the status shows Started, close the Services window.
  3. Open McAfee SecurityCenter and verify that Real-Time Scanning is enabled.
  4. Restart the computer and verify that Real-Time Scanning remains enabled.

If you are unable to start the McShield service or if Real-Time Scanning does not remain enabled,

Download and run the oas-disabled-fix.cmd utility

click  on this link
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/oas-disabled-fix.cmd , and restart the computer after tool completes.

The real time scanner should stay enabled now.

Regards,

Dinesh K

McAfee Online Community Moderator

on 5/12/10 9:26:35 AM GMT-06:00
0 Kudos
eshwarnp
Level 7

Jump to solution

Even i have the same problem.

Just followed the instructions provided by Dinesh; but the problem is not resolved. Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
Dinz
Level 16

Jump to solution

Hi eshwarnp,

Can you please click on Useful links at the top of this page and then click Technical support and get connected with out technicians so that they help you in getting this fixed.

0 Kudos
maylcy
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am having the same issues.   I thought it was fixed a couple of weeks ago by Virtual technician but the problem is back and MVT cannot get the McShield process fixed.  The tech who helped me previously said the problem developed after a McAfee update.  I tried to click on the link above to get the fix but it gives me a page of gibberish. What is next?  I cannot stand calling tech support because i cannot understand them half the time.  Last time I had to give them my credit card so they could take over my computer and check for viruses and there were not any.  Granted I did get my charge refunded but they shopuld have known at the time this was an update issue.

I run Windows XP sp3

Security Center 10.5.221

Virus Scan 14.5.130

Firewall 11.5.141

0 Kudos
maylcy
Level 7

Jump to solution

Just reinstalled McAfee(Cox Security Suite)  version and all seems to be working fine.  For now at least.  Last time I did this it lasted 2 weeks before the problem started again.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Just a thought, many problems such as this can be caused by the use of registry cleaners, so go easy with them, if you have them.

0 Kudos
Speediebean
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have recently had that problem as well, where my real-time scanning was off and I couldn't get it back on, but I'm not having that problem now.

I couldn't tell you what fixed it, honestly... could have been the running of the Malwarebytes' product, could have been the uninstall-reinstall...

I'm just not tech-savvy enough to understand how that very convenient little accident might have ocurred.  But now you've got me wondering:

What precisely is a registry cleaner, how do I recognize it as such, and how does one "go easy" with them?   If this knowledge could prevent a future problem, (as I'm believing it will), I'll be sure to enjoy it to its fullest.

Thank you in advance, very muchly. 

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

They are usually marketed as registry cleaners or optimizers or 'speed up your PC" tools.  The unfortunate thing about them is that most people don't watch very carefully how they are using them and often they wipe out essential files along with the trash.

The gain in performance from using them is marginal at best, if that.

Regretfully even McAfee has marketing partners that sell them, something beyond my control unfortunately.

I can't mention brand names for obvious reasons but they are pretty well known, most of them anyway.

I just posted the above as I have experienced problems personally over the years after using such applications and we Moderators have traced many customers' problems back to the use of them..

0 Kudos