cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Real-Time Scanning is Off...and I can't get it to turn on.

Jump to solution

OK, so by-words to look out for would be "registry cleaner" (an obvious one ), "optimizer", "speed up your pc"... I can do that.

The next step would then be to "go easy" with them.  I don't believe I, personally, have ever used anything like that... that I can recall.

I do use a defrager... different animal, eh?   I'm supposing so.  How, precisely, does one go easy with them?  Are we given options from

which to choose when the "scan" (for lack of knowledge of correct terminology) is complete?   What should we be sure NOT to choose,

or touch or change?

I completely understand your not being able to mention specific brand names, that is a clear no-no.  Now, however, I feel compelled to research

the products I have downloaded and read about them more in-depth, to see what each component does.

Ya know, people like you, Mr. Ex_Brit, make sites like this a real pleasure and treasure to find.  You clearly know what you're talking about, and you

present the information in such a comprehensive, professional, and yet patient and compassionate manner.  Just wanted to take a moment to give

you a "Thumbs Up".

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thanks.  Defraggers are fine although the need for those is questioned by some.  As far as those registry cleaners go it's not easy to describe in a few sentences as they are all different.  Basically one has to examine every single item that it says is garbage to check that it truly is, and unless you are an expert, and believe me I am not, it is extremely difficult to decide which is disposable and which is not.

In other words they are more trouble than they are worth.

Many do, however, have a restore function.  So if something goes wrong one can always reverse the process.

I remember my first experience with a rather well known registry cleaner.  After using it I had no internet access any more.  Looking in the Device Manager it had very kindly obliterated my LAN off the face of the Earth saying that it was superfluous to my needs as I had 2.   The fact that the other one was for home networking only was irrelevent in its tiny electronic mind   Fortunately it had a restore button...;-)

Highlighted
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 13 of 26

Jump to solution

Hi Peter,

A few days ago, I got infected by AV 2012 that would not let me close the pop-up that want me to either install or buy it but I couldn't get rid of it. I turned off my computer, brought it back on under safe-mode and used the antimalwarebytes to remove the virus. Soon I found that I could not turn on my TP2011 Real-time Scanning. Also, I can't open Scan Setting or Schedule Scan Setting. Yes, I also have Registry Mechanic installed and it run everyday. Could that be the reasons why I can't get my TP2011 Real-time Scanning to work?

Thanks,

Aris/

Highlighted

Jump to solution

I just posted a link to help someone with the same malware here.. https://community.mcafee.com/message/214270#214270

Yes registry cleaners can be just as bad as malware at destroying software.  You will learn that through experience.

Uninstall McAfee via Control Panel, run the MCPR cleanup tool linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.  Reboot and reinstall from your online account...and get a divorce from Registry Mechanic... Been there, done that and had to reinstall Windows time and time again, so got the T-Shirt too.

😉

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 15 of 26

Jump to solution

I completely agree with Speediebean's comment above that I quoted here:

Ya know, people like you, Mr. Ex_Brit, make sites like this a real pleasure and treasure to find.

Thanks, Peter for your quick response. Now I know why I have so much troubles with my TP2011.

Will try to fix it tonight following what you have suggested above.

Oh, BTW, I followed the steps described in the link you cited above to clean up my computer from that fake AV program.

Aris/

Message was edited by: drt12 on 11/12/11 9:22:57 PM CST
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thank you for your kind words, believe me I appreciate them as they are so rare here.

Good luck 😉

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 17 of 26

Jump to solution

You deserve it. Peter.

BTW, when started the MCPR, I also selected the Side Advisor to be removed. I have left the program running since last night, but the green bar seems to stop around 75%.  McAfee TP has been successfully removed but when I woke up this morning, the green bar never moved. I left home this morning and just came back to find that it was still at the same place as shown below. Will wait another hour or so. Do you have any suggestion on how to proceed?

I also got this error message every time I open a new FF browser, I got the error message showing in the second picture.

Thanks,

Aris/

MCPR1.jpg

MCPR2.jpg

Message was edited by: drt12 on 11/13/11 3:41:57 PM CST

Message was edited by: drt12 on 11/13/11 3:42:21 PM CST

Message was edited by: drt12 on 11/13/11 3:49:53 PM CST
Highlighted

Jump to solution

That shouldn't be happening.   I think a reboot should see that it's totally gone.  But you could run MCPR a second time to be sure.   It should only take a couple of minutes before asking for a reboot.

Make sure that Windows is totally up to date - all aspects of it.  Use the Microsoft Update option to ensure that.

Reinstall your software as you wish from the online account.   That's just another example of what I mean about registry cleaners.

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 19 of 26

Jump to solution

Thanks, Peter.

Do I need to remove Side Advisor like what I did last night?

Aris/

ps: I will check your reply in an hour.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Running MCPR should have done that for you.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community