cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joem101
Level 8

Real-Time Scanning Won't Stay On After Windows 7 updates Microsoft .NET Framework

Jump to solution

Hello, I'm at kind of a loss here. I've already Googled this problem and it's been touched on before with regards to third-party programs interfering with McAfee, but my situation seems a bit different - yesterday and today Windows Update did its monthly thing, which included updating Microsoft NET Framework, and now McAfee's Real-Time Scanning won't stay on. McAfee runs like normal on startup, the icon disappears temporarily, and then reappears a few minutes later with the red message stating Real Time Scanning is off ... but when I click to switch it on, it just turns itself off again. I notice Windows Firewall is turned on in the control panel, but not Windows Defender. I'm using Windows 7 Professional. Would this have something to do with the .NET Framework update?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
joem101
Level 8

Re: Real-Time Scanning Won't Stay On After Windows 7 updates Microsoft .NET Framework

Jump to solution

I thank you guys for your help, but the problem ... now seems to have resolved itself. McAfee just updated itself, and Real Time scanning has switched back on and is apparently happy to stay that way. Everything's in the green.

56 Replies
joem101
Level 8

Re: Real-Time Scanning Won't Stay On After Windows 7 updates Microsoft .NET Framework

Jump to solution

Update: I tried to do a System Restore today (which always fixed problems for me in the past on my XP machine) and it wouldn't let me. It said it ran into an error where it couldn't access a file that it needed to access, possibly because there was an antivirus program running. It suggested turning the antivirus off and trying to do the Restore again. I'm a little hesitant to do this. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I had a similar problem with Norton Antivirus a few years ago (it allowed a trojan to waltz right through it and infect my system); ultimately I decided to chuck it and go with one of the free Antivirus programs. I'm about ready to do the same with McAfee. Every computer savvy person I've ever met has told me that commercial software like Norton and McAfee are junk, and I'm more and more inclined to believe them.

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

​,

Even Windows 10 consumers and users experience issues with Windows Updates, for instance this last Update Tuesday's batch.

You of course can always contact Technical Support for assistance;

https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/contact

I might add that there is very little risk if you are only doing a System Restore. Plus you can enable Windows Defender.

All the Best

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
joem101
Level 8

Jump to solution

I just tried running the McAfee Virtual Technician and it wouldn't work - "Technical Error, please try again later." Getting very worried and very fed up. Might try tech support later today, but I've got errands to run right now.

You said Tuesday's Windows Update release has been causing problems for people? If I just wait it out until the next batch of updates could that fix the issue?

exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Did you do a complete reboot to see if that fixes it?

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Doing a system restore right after a Windows Update at best starts the update process all over again and at worst can make your system unstable.

Also sometimes it's best to simply uninstall McAfee, run the MCPR cleanup tool, reboot and reinstall from your online account.

catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

My Bad for thinking that was a *Given*  Good Point.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
joem101
Level 8

Jump to solution

Did a soft reboot and two hard reboots since the problem started. No dice.

I'm pretty sure I'm not infected with anything. I'm super-paranoid on the Internet - I don't visit shady sites, and I never run anything or open any attachment unless I'm 110% sure it's legit. I do my due diligence almost to a fault. This issue began immediately after Windows Update updated the .NET Framework yesterday afternoon. And when I looked at the list of recent updates, I see that it did the same Framework update twice - once just before Christmas and then again yesterday:

"December, 2016 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 3.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB3205402)"

Edit: If I reach a point where I'm ready to entirely uninstall McAfee, it will only be to switch to another AV software. I hear Bitdefender's pretty highly rated.

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

The point being is,who is to say you will not have the same issue with BitDefender? However of course that is your perogative.  Mine updated also and I am having no issues. I would at least give Technical Support a shot, if you wish to not do a uninstall/reinstall.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

It takes only a few minutes to do but if you'd prefer, try running the Virtual Technician, it may find and fix problems.

http://mvt.mcafee.com/