cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 20

Re: Quick scan and Full Scan Stuck on 0%, computer now crashing and running slow

MBAM's quarantine tab should show you what was the cause.   I strongly recommend 'Delete All"....!! ;-)

Re: Quick scan and Full Scan Stuck on 0%, computer now crashing and running slow

Peter,

I encountereed this same issue and hoped that your solutions (Malwarebytes and Stinegr) would resolve it, but they did not. MBAM found 40 bugs, mostly PUPs, that McAfee had let through, and I deleted all of them. I also shut down McAfee via msconfig and installed Microsoft Security Essentials. This tells me my system is supposedly clean and protected, but McAfee still hangs for hours at "0 files scanned." My system is sluggish and applications randomly freeze (or the entire system does). I installed an ran their Virtual Technician, which updated a few files, but otherwise did nothing to resolve the issue. I am running v 11.6. Any ideas?

Reliable Contributor
Message 13 of 20

This is an old thread and by now the soiftware has changed a fair amount by updates and upgrades.   You should never have two antivirus applications installed at the same time even if one is disabled.   I suggest completely removing one or the other and using the MCPR cleanup tool if McAfee is removed.

No antivirus, no matter what brand, is 100% guaranteed so I would look at the last link in my signature below for suggestions.

A scan hanging may not be due to an infection (PUPs aside, they aren't infections but Possibly Unwanted Programmes), - it could be due to corruption in the files being scanned, too many zipped files to scan, although those would eventually be scanned, or disk-read errors, in which case do a chkdsk /r - how to do that if you don't already know, I would need to know what OS this is.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/09/13 11:22:24 EDT AM

Well, an old thread for you, but a new problem for me. I am running Windows 7 and the problems originally described on this thread are exactly what is happening to me--but the solutions don't work like they did for the original writer.  I understand that McAfee could theoretically get bogged down with ZIPs, &c., but it doesn't indicate even a single file scanned after hours of cranking, whereas usually they tally up pretty quickly. Am running RootKit now . . .

Reliable Contributor
Message 15 of 20

Check the hard drive for read errors too, it is often a cause of this.

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 16 of 20

Mcafee could have been corrupted it has ways to prevent that but I have seen a clean reinstall fix this type of issue. Does Mcafee update ie click on update does it?

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

and reinstall from your account

Yes, that is what it finally took--complete uninstallation and reinstall.

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 18 of 20

Yes it seems to have got a cold and a reinstall fixed things.

jzwmnb
Level 7
Message 19 of 20

I just installed the Antivirus, today, and the quickscan will not scan.  Stuck on 0% complete after several hours.

Moderator sanjay
Message 20 of 20

@jzwmnb

Please run the Mcafee Virtual Technician (MVT) and see if it helps in improving scan progress. http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101111

You may also reinstall the product by following the steps below if issue persists.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

Cheers

Sanjay

McAfee Support Mobile App Available
With the new McAfee Support Mobile App you’ll be able to update, close, and view service requests on your mobile device. The app will also notify you when one of our technical support engineers update a service request. Download the Android version from Google Play and the iOS version from the Apple App Store today!