Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
taz1961
Level 7

Quarantined P.U.Ps Removal

Jump to solution

how do you remove quarantined P.U.Ps when this message appears

a script on this page is causing I.E. to run slowly. if it continues to run, your computer might unresponsive.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Aldrin
Level 12

Re: Quarantined P.U.Ps Removal

Jump to solution

Sorry for not being so clear, please try this. Reboot the computer again in Safe Mode:

• If you are using Windows XP then navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\VirusScan\Quarantine
  • If you are using Windows Vista (or) 7 then navigate to C:\ProgramData\McAfee\VirusScan\Quarantine

Delete all the files over there and reboot the computer back in normal mode, hope this helps...

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Aldrin
Level 12

Jump to solution

Could you please add more clarity on this issue, when do you get that message and what is the file that is quarantined by McAfee !!! (if possible please add the screenshots of the same)

0 Kudos
Hayton
Level 18

Jump to solution

Hi Aldrin,

I thought this would cause confusion. Stephen posted a question to the end of an answered thread at

https://community.mcafee.com/message/158847#158847

and then seems to have realised he needed to start a new thread. He just forgot to copy over the details.

Now that McAfee automatically detects and deletes many tracking cookies the list of quarantined items and PUPs can become very large. To delete or restore them, or send them to McAfee, you have to open Security Center, open the Navigation panel, and click on 'Quarantined and Trusted Items'. See screenshot below for what you then get. If you choose Select All, you can click on one of the (greyed-out) items.

I have tried this myself and there is definitely something not right with the program : it takes a long time to populate the list with items (all of them cookies) and when I tried to delete those cookies mcagent.exe ran for several minutes, taking 100% of the cpu - I very nearly killed the process, thinking it was never going to finish. See the screenshot for what I mean. I couldn't get one done until the deletion process had completed but you can see what happened on the cpu graph.

Try it yourself, and see if happens to you too.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 11/11/10 12:17:55 GMT
0 Kudos
taz1961
Level 7

Jump to solution

hi sorry about the confusion but new to all this jagon but what you have just said is the exact problem.

when i try to delete all, the above said message appears. tech support directed me to here.

0 Kudos
Aldrin
Level 12

Jump to solution

Reboot the computer, tap F8 when you reboot, select Safe Mode. Open McAfee Security Center and try to delete them

0 Kudos
taz1961
Level 7

Jump to solution

sorry for delay

i started computer in safe mode as asked

opened mcafee

opened quarantined p.u.ps

on the screen came a list of mostlly cookies

was unable to delete any as it was still loading after two hours

sorry no screen shots as i dont know how

0 Kudos
Aldrin
Level 12

Jump to solution

Sorry for not being so clear, please try this. Reboot the computer again in Safe Mode:

• If you are using Windows XP then navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\VirusScan\Quarantine
  • If you are using Windows Vista (or) 7 then navigate to C:\ProgramData\McAfee\VirusScan\Quarantine

Delete all the files over there and reboot the computer back in normal mode, hope this helps...

0 Kudos
taz1961
Level 7

Jump to solution

thank you for all the help

was able to delete everything and all p.u.ps removed.

hopefully now things can get back to normal.

0 Kudos