I am encountering the same problem. Script Scanning is disabled and Buffer Overflow is disabled. When I click 'fix now' in the Control Center all becomes happy again. But sort of like my wife it never lasts grin Anywhere from 30 minutes to 4 hours the same thing happens again. There is an application error message which reads:
Event Type: Error Event Source: McLogEvent Event Category: None Event ID: 5051 Date: 9/20/2009 Time: 7:45:42 AM User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: PRP Description: A thread in process C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe took longer than 90000 ms to complete a request. The process will be terminated. Thread id : 5144 (0x1418) Thread address : 0x7C90E514 Thread message :
Oddly enough I get this informational message just prior to each of these critical errors:
Event Type: Information Event Source: McLogEvent Event Category: None Event ID: 5000 Date: 9/20/2009 Time: 6:55:08 AM User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: PRP Description: McShield service started. Engine version : 5301.4018 DAT version : 5746.0000
Number of signatures in EXTRA.DAT : None Names of threats that EXTRA.DAT can detect : None
I have disabled the JQS.EXE file, which is the Java Quick Start file which is what the error message indicates has the regutils.dll file locked and am now waiting for the outcome. I will follow up this post if this in fact makes any difference.
In Windows XP, control panel, Adminstrative Tools, Event Viewer (Local), Application is where I'm finding the error logs I mentioned.
Also I have done quite a bit of changing to my sysetm...I've un-installed Google Crome, I've disabled Java Quick Start, I've un-installed IE8 and re-installed it. All except JQS.EXE are due to another problem I'm having and should not be related to the McAfee problem.
The other problem is one of my cable modem / router losing connection to the internet and my IE8 freezing up and crashing.
I'm not sure by any means that your McAfee is shutting down services for the same reasons mine was but my first location to look is as I mentioned above. If you are using Windows and not seeing any application errors where I mentioned above you may have your logging set to not log.
After I made the change to JQS.EXE I had the following error in the app log from McAfee but it did not shut down the scanning or buffer overflow services:
Event Type: Error Event Source: McLogEvent Event Category: None Event ID: 5051 Date: 9/20/2009 Time: 10:13:08 AM User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: PRP Description: A thread in process C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe took longer than 90000 ms to complete a request. The process will be terminated. Thread id : 3288 (0xcd8) Thread address : 0x7C90E514 Thread message :
Build VSCORE.22.214.171.1243 / 5301.4018 Object being scanned = \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Documents and Settings\Randy\My Documents\2007FATBOOK.pdf by C:\WINDOWS\system32\SearchProtocolHost.exe 4(0)(0) 4(0)(0) 7200(0)(0) 7595(0)(0) 7005(0)(0) 7004(0)(0) 5006(0)(0) 5004(0)(0)
2007FATBOOK.PDF is a Harley Davidson parts catalog. SearchProtocolHost.exe is Part of Windows desktop search but is not part of the OS so I'm not too worried about it. This doesn't look like a problem. Since taking JQS.exe off line the problem of the scripting scan and the buffer overflow have subsided...still watching but his is the longest time for a couple of days without the errors.
Took so long to get back because I wound up going down and purchasing another cable modem...Motorola SurfBoard.
As I said in my last post, it looks like my problem with script scanning and buffer overflow has been resolved with the disableing of JQS.exe...the Java Quick Start program. I'm trying to get to the core problem DWEEP is having with his installation.
Just for informational purposes I run Windows XP sp 3 with a Cable modem (brand new Motorola SurfBoard purchased today)
The McAfee products I'm running are: SecurityCenter V 9.3 build 9.3.162 VirusScan v 13.3 build 13.3.127 SiteAdvisor v 1.6 build 1.3.3459
I am continuing to watch my McAfee products to see where we go from here but so far so good.
I am currently having the same issue. Every few hours my McAfee icon in the toolbar will show an X,null and report that is has issues.
It is showing the following items that need to be fixed - Real-time scanning is disabled - Spyware and portentially unwanted program scanning is disabled - IM scanning is disabled - script scanning is disabled - buffer overflow protection is disabled
I run "fix" and everything looks ok. Few hours later and this all gets disabled again. Just started happening in the last few days. I have all the current updates. Have run scan and all comes clean, no infections.
My version is the latest, security center for MSN. running XP.