cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Problems with running McAfee and other .exe files

I had an issue with malware running on my computer (WIN 7 SECURITY ALERT). After looking at the forums, I used the Stinger tool on Very High Sensitivity and afterwards rebooted the computer. Once the computer rebooted, the software came back up, followed by an McAfee alert saying I had a trojan and it wanted to repair the problem. My Computer is now prompting me to choose a program to run McAfee on as well as other .exe files, this includes Internet Explorer. I am on another computer now trying to fix this matter. Can I get some help with this please?

2 Replies
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 3

Re: Problems with running McAfee and other .exe files

This is another of those fake antivirus programs - I saw posts about it on the Mozilla forums a while ago.

There are two guides to removal you should read. Either of them will do, I think; their recommendations aren't identical but both of them should work. You will need to download some extra programs to clean this; they each give full instructions on what to do.

The first site is at malwarehelp.org;

the second is at bleepingcomputer.com

These things slip under the radar for nearly all antivirus products. It's not just McAfee.

Afterwards, run a McAfee Quick Scan, to make sure that this fake AV didn't drag down anything serious which Malwarebytes wouldn't be able to deal with.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 17/05/11 02:03:17 IST
Highlighted

Re: Problems with running McAfee and other .exe files

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community