Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Problems with running McAfee and other .exe files

I had an issue with malware running on my computer (WIN 7 SECURITY ALERT). After looking at the forums, I used the Stinger tool on Very High Sensitivity and afterwards rebooted the computer. Once the computer rebooted, the software came back up, followed by an McAfee alert saying I had a trojan and it wanted to repair the problem. My Computer is now prompting me to choose a program to run McAfee on as well as other .exe files, this includes Internet Explorer. I am on another computer now trying to fix this matter. Can I get some help with this please?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Level 18

Re: Problems with running McAfee and other .exe files

This is another of those fake antivirus programs - I saw posts about it on the Mozilla forums a while ago.

There are two guides to removal you should read. Either of them will do, I think; their recommendations aren't identical but both of them should work. You will need to download some extra programs to clean this; they each give full instructions on what to do.

The first site is at;

the second is at

These things slip under the radar for nearly all antivirus products. It's not just McAfee.

Afterwards, run a McAfee Quick Scan, to make sure that this fake AV didn't drag down anything serious which Malwarebytes wouldn't be able to deal with.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 17/05/11 02:03:17 IST
0 Kudos
Level 20

Re: Problems with running McAfee and other .exe files

0 Kudos