cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marktwic
Level 7

Practically brand new computer overheating during Scheduled Scan

I want to reduce the impact of LiveSafe on my computer. It's overheating it and it's a practically new computer ASUS x552c i5. Is there a system setting for this? Virus protection should run in the background in my opinion. Disk usage is particularly high according to my system monitor but generally it takes over the computer. I used to love McAfee when it ran unintrusively but this is likely to cause damage.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
catdaddy
Level 20

Re: Practically brand new computer overheating during Scheduled Scan

@marktwic,

You can open your McAfee UI, Open the Virus and Spyware Protection (Real Time scanning) click on Real time scanning,and open settings and set it to the (Recommended) setting, or set it to scan less thoroughly.

I might add in addition, I am running Windows7 SP1, and can honestly say do not experience the Intense amount of CPU usage. It would probably help, if you set your "Scheduled Scan" at a time when your PC is idle. Mine is set to run @ 4:00 am weekly.

Regards,

Catdaddy

McAfee Volunteer Moderator 1

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
marktwic
Level 7

Thanks. Will try reducing the intensity first of all and see if that makes a difference but a scan early in the morning is certainly a good idea. Mine is a Windows 8 machine with plenty of power. Starting to wonder if it isn't an indication of a problem.

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

You,re perfectly welcome

Let us know if you continue to experience issues.

All the best,

Catdaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
Hayton
Level 18

I haven't seen anything in the customer reviews for this laptop that mention overheating. The question is, is this hot-to-the-touch overheating or are you relying on what the instrumentation is telling you? If you go by the system information about temperature you might be misled - see this thread from hardforum.com

Windows 8.1 Sent My CPU to 113c (3 Times) - ard|Forum

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

I agree with Hayton - there's nothing McAfee can do to make a working computer overheat - If you do have really high temps, I would guess you have a mechanical problem - a broken/disconnected fan for example.

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

@ marktwic,

As I clearly stated in my prior post, I have no issues to speak of. What I suggested is basically things to consider. It basically could be a "Hardware " issue...I digress.....

Catdaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos