Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 5

Potentially Unwanted Program Blocked!

Hi!

I recently installed McAfee Internet Security on an older HP Pavilion about a week ago.

After the first full scan yesterday the scan found a 'pup' called RemAdm-PSKill from c:\HP\Bin\Killwind.exe. I understand this pup program is old and been around for some time. F/what I understand, this is supposedly not a virus but a 'tool' used by HP in order to remotely control your HP computer in the event you need HP tech support. My computer is 5 yrs. old and out of warranty so I will not be needing HP tech support. I read,however, that this type of program could be hijacked and used for malicious intent. I quarantined it but now I keep getting periodic alerts f/McAfee that RemAdm-PSKill has been blocked from c:\system volume information\_restore{106CF321-99A3-4E3A-9103-1BD027606A99}\RP267\A0049930.exe.

How can I stop the above alerts for this annoying program?

DJR.

4 Replies
Level 7
Message 2 of 5

Re: Potentially Unwanted Program Blocked!

I just found another link on here where Ex-brit recommended to temporarily disable system restore and re-boot and it s/b gone!

Would that work in this case?

Another user decided to just 'trust' it since it was indicated by some to be an HP tool

What should I do?

DJR.

Level 14
Message 3 of 5

I would suggest you try what ExBrit recommended

Level 7
Message 4 of 5

Hi Tom,

Sorry for the late reply! After further research on this particular 'potentially unwanted program' I decided to just 'trust' this program. It  appears to be an HP program tool that may have more than one component.

My understanding is this particular program is a legit HP program used by HP tech support that was pre-installed on my computer when new, should I ever need HP tech support. I don't need HP tech support anymore as my computer is out of warranty. F/what I've read so far, this program may have something to do w/HP updates and also appears to be tied to system restore. My previous security software never detected this program so its been on my computer for yrs. I just think McAfee is set more aggressive in detecting these kinds of programs, which is good. At least it gives you a chance to check out a program that you would have otherwise not known about! In this particular case I don't think its anything to worry about so I will just leave it alone IMO.

Cheers,

DJR

Level 16
Message 5 of 5

Hello DJR,

Need not to worry, since McAfee has quaratined it becasue when  a file is quarantined, there are 3 things that VirusScan does to render the file virtually harmless.  – The file is encrypted with an algorithm that can only be decrypted by VirusScan.. (ii) The extension of the file is changed to .VIR and the file is locked. ; (iii) The file is moved to the quarantine directory.

Regards,

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community