cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kiarae
Level 7

PUP ALERTS - patchedsfc - PLEASE HELP

PLEASE HELP

I downloaded McAfee and did a full system scan. It came up with a few viruses and what not but it proceded to detect and remove. which was perfect.

But I'm still getting  the pup alert for a "patchedSFC" First it was in my windows/system32... I selected and removed.

Now I am getting the same pup alert for "patchedSFC" in my windows/system volume information.

PLEASE HELP ME ... It says to turn off system restore and download a program from the site. But Im pretty ignorant when it comes to certain computer things.

IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. AS I AM STARTING TO GET SUPER FRUSTRATED.

HAPPY MONDAY EVERYONE

0 Kudos
4 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: PUP ALERTS - patchedsfc - PLEASE HELP

Moved to VirusScan as a better spot for this subject.

A PUP is a potentially unwanted program so isn't necessarily bad.   Whan VirusScan labels something as a PUP it's asking you what you want to do, keep it or delete it.

In this case 'System Volume Information' is the clue, that means it is finding it in your System Restore folders and as Windows protects them VirusScan can't get in there to deal with it.

If it's OK with you simply disable System Restore temporarily and that warning will disappear along with the file.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 03/10/11 10:49:32 EDT AM
0 Kudos
kiarae
Level 7

Thank you ... its just that my system restore hasn't worked in months anyways.. so and this file keeps moving around.. online it states its trying to obtain important banking info and such.  so im kinda scared to go and do any of my monthly banking

0 Kudos
kiarae
Level 7

so if i disable system restore .. do i have to manually remove this file or will it automatically remove it on its own??

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

If you disable System Restore it will delete the file, along with your restore points.  You wont need to delete anything.

As a precaution you might want a 3rd party opinion on how clean you machine is.

Download, install, update and run the FREE version of this tool:  http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

This tool can downloaded, installed, updated and run all in 'Safe Mode with Networking' if necessary (if an infection prevents normal installation).

Support Forum: http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/

0 Kudos