cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
narfolistic
Level 7

Next Question About Real-Time Scanning

Hi.  I asked a question about what "Real-Time Scanning" was, and I got an answer that said that it scans everything that I download to my computer.  Now the question is, WHEN does it scan the file I am downloading?  Does it scan it BEFORE it gets downloaded to my computer, or does it scan it AFTER it gets downloaded to my computer?  If it waits until AFTER the file is already in my computer to scan it, then it could be letting malware into my computer -- that doesn't sound good.

Also, what happens if it finds malware in the file I am downloading?  Does it put a pop-up message on the screen telling me that it has detected malware in the file I am downloading?

I got an answer to my last question with info on accessing help plus links for more info, but neither of those sources provided answers to either of the above questions.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Next Question About Real-Time Scanning

It scans as you download onto your hard drive and if it detects anything it will tell you so.  The Quarantine folder is in the interface > Navigation > Quarantined and Trusted Files.

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

Re: Next Question About Real-Time Scanning

It scans once the file is downloaded (it can't scan a file that does not yet exist), but before it can be executed.

Malware which you have not clicked on or run the code is completely harmless - a bit like a book you've not yet read. It's just sitting there doing nothing.

0 Kudos

Re: Re: Next Question About Real-Time Scanning

Adding to that the file that is currently being downloaded does not have a specific format. So Technically a file is said to be present only when it is downloaded completely. Files that exist as a result of Incomplete downloads are dormant/corrupt and shouldn't do any harm.

0 Kudos