cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bishvabis
Level 7

Need help with Mcafee anti virus?

well first of all i really dont have the money to call someone to fix this problem. the problem is that i had mcafee for about a year now and it was running out of subscription so i used the free year promo code that came with our pc and when i downloaded it it removed previous versions of mcafee but failed to install the new one so i was left without a antivirus program. i went to support on mcafee and they said that the problem was i had a virus and i needed to get somone to fix it which i dont have money for. so i did a system restore and i have the mcafee program again but it is not working properly. i cant scan computer and it turns scanning off on its own and cant update. i was wondering if there was anything i could try to get it working right? what could i do? is it the virus causing this problem? could i download a program somewhere free to rid the virus just so i can install mcafee properly? is there any way out other than calling somone and being charged?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
k3tg
Level 14

Re: Need help with Mcafee anti virus?

This document should be able to help you with your issues

0 Kudos
Hayton
Level 18

Two possible problems here : one, maybe you do have a virus or other malware, especially if you're operating without any anti-virus protection. And two, if you tried to install McAfee over the top of an existing version then the previous installation's files and registry settings were probably not removed. There's a tool to do this - MCPR - which you should run before re-installing.

(Edited) Possibly also the pre-installation utility - see http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100119.

If you haven't got any installed McAfee product (check in Add/Remove Programs to be sure and click Remove if there's an entry there) then run the MCPR tool. Follow the instructions given in

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

("How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe)") - in there is a download link for MCPR.

Before re-installing McAfee you should run a couple of scans, with Malwarebytes (free version) and Windows Live Safety Scanner. Both of these are on-demand scanners; you only have use of the Windows tool for a limited period (8 or 10 days) before it deactivates.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 18/11/11 23:22:48 GMT
0 Kudos
rvishva55
Level 7

You can't do a system restore to get rid of malware.

Run rkill, small executable, no need to install. READ THE DESCRIPTION. delete after you are clean.

BitdefenderCoupon Codes

Message was edited by: rvishva55 on 7/20/12 11:26:13 PM CDT
0 Kudos