Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andornot
Level 7

My mission: to have my PC shut down each night after 2 am scheduled scan

Jump to solution

VirusScan 13.15 -- McAfee through Comcast

My mission: to have my PC shut down each night after 2 am scheduled scan.

The problem: no button exist on "Scheduled Scan" screen to auto shut down PC after scan is complete

Seems intuitive, that the button would be somewhere near (Advanced Menu>Configure>Computer & Files>Scheduled Scan) -see attach

Nothing in "Custom Scan" either, the next most likely screen.  Nothing on the Help queries, or Online, for that matter. The issue seems like it would be addressed somewhere but I'm having trouble finding it.

Please help

Thanks!

Message was edited by: andornot on 2/6/10 3:04:42 PM CST

Message was edited by: andornot on 2/6/10 3:05:50 PM CST
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
Level 21

Re: My mission: to have my PC shut down each night after 2 am scheduled scan

Jump to solution

That would be a feature that we have been suggesting for some time now, but they haven't okayed it so far.

So unless you know exactly how long a scan takes it's a difficult thing to programme by other means.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

That would be a feature that we have been suggesting for some time now, but they haven't okayed it so far.

So unless you know exactly how long a scan takes it's a difficult thing to programme by other means.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Moved to VirusScan 13.

0 Kudos
MoxieMomma
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi, Andornot:

SuperAntispyware Pro can be configured to shut down the machine after a scheduled scan.

There's a free version (which I don't think includes that functionality), and a full, paid version.

You can download a 30-day trial version of the latter for free, run it for a month, and decide if you want to shell out for the subscription.

That's what I did when we were experiencing the DAT update issues last month, at the recommendation of several folks here and at other computer forums, in order to add a layer of protection on top of McAfee.

I've had no conflicts with SAS Pro and McAfee thus far.

The GUI is a bit "dated" in appearance (apparently the guy who owns the program is "old school"), but the program has been trouble-free, and they have a good user forum, too.

Current version is 4.33.1.

It is not the fastest scanner among the many standalone AV/AM apps, but that's not a major drawback for me.

It would be swell if the devs at McAfee would heed their customers' requests for features such as shutdown-after-scan, excluding certain folders from scan, etc. Sigh.

MM

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

I should add that if you cancel the Scheduled Scan and opt to do a manual one by opening SecurityCenter and selecting "Scan" from the left menu, you can then tell the interface to shut down the computer if no infection is found.  Note it wont shut down if infection is found.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 07/02/10 2:53:09 EST PM
0 Kudos
andornot
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for the Help, Ex_Brit.  Being well versed in 'reverse polish notation' I discovered the feature on the manual scan.  Gaging the fact that millions are probably using this software, as Comcast customers alone, the inefficiancies are incalculable but expodentially large (if one actually thinks about it).  And judging by the myriad of - "Mcafee is a system hog" complaints on this board and others, it's an easy fix, so why not?  Bottom line for McAfee is it is an image/performance issue that is easily addressed.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Exactly and it is one on a very long list of "easy" improvements we Mods have been suggesting almost weekly for years.  I noticed that even that option in the manual scan has been removed in the 2010 product so I have added a "you've gone too far this time" type of item to our weekly conference call agenda on Monday afternoon.

By the way Comcast has ditched McAfee and is pushing Norton.    Good luck to them.  Historically they were always the last to allow any updates to McAfee's interface to pass through to their customers.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

I was in error above.  That option is available once the type of manual scan selected has been started in the new interface.

0 Kudos