cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ninjaking
Level 7

Mcaffee 2010 Virus Scan won't install on Windows 7??

Hi there.

About 6 months ago I purchased Mcaffee Intenet Security 2010 from Futureshop and installed it on my HP machine with Windows 7.

When I first installed it 6 months ago, everything installed properly except one component.  Can't remember what it was, I think it was the Mcafee Backup and Restore component of the Internet Security Suite.

Anyhow, that wasn't a big deal since as long as I had the firewall and Virus scan working.

A few days ago, a piece of Spyware(Malware?) hit my computer.  Which disabled and Corrupted Mcaffee.  And all System Restore files got corrupted.  The only way I could block the Spyware out was booting into Safe mode and then running Spybot - And cleaning it out and doing an immunization.

I then re-installed Mcaffee..  All the components installed properly except the Viruscan.  I don't know why as It won't give any reason. And I tried running the technician program in the installation.

Anyone else had this problem.  Help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Re: Mcaffee 2010 Virus Scan won't install on Windows 7??

Try this uninstall mcafee via the MCPR removal tool found in the removal faq in useful links tab top of this page.

Reboot and run mcPreinstall.exe tool. http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

Retry the installation from your account. Oh the backup is not available on this version

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit to fix broken link on 04/12/10 6:25:30 CST AM
0 Kudos
ninjaking
Level 7

Thanks for the help.  I tried the steps you outlined.  However, seems exactly same problem is still occuring.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

In that case you might still have an issue with malware Try downloadin getsusp here

https://community.mcafee.com/groups/getsusp30-beta-feedback?view=discussions

You will have to join the group and post the results a thread and the tech working on the program will report back what he finds.

If you want a second opinion, or to be on the safe side, then you can do a scan with the free versions of these tools :

Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware

If you already have Malwarebytes installed, the virus could be protecting itself against it. In that case, in order to get Malwarebytes running you'll need to rename the executable. Open the C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Antimalware folder, then rename the "mbam.exe" file and double-click directly on the file to open the program. After updating the program, run a full system scan using Malwarebytes.

Make sure both programs are updated to the latest versions before running them and let them clean anything they find. If they quarantine a file or fail to remove a file try to get a copy of it and send it to Mcafee using the virus submission path described here :

Send the file to mcafee labs at http://vil.nai.com/vil/submit-sample.aspx

0 Kudos
Dinz
Level 16

Installin McAfee on computers with virus infections an sometimes be slow , and the virus scan could tend to fail if the machine has some remnants of McAfee . In your case I supect it might be a conflict with the other security scanner that is installed in the machine !!!! Did you remove spybot before reinstalling McAfee applications ?

0 Kudos