cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
samishra21
Level 7

Mcafee is detecting and deleting uninfected files

Hi,

few days before macfee deleted an exe(cszero.exe) from my laptop without any warning, after that whenever i tried to install it again in system it says "Generic.dx!bgbb (trojrn)" found and delete it. I know it is not a virus so how can i stop mcafee from deleting this file.

Thanks in advance

P.S. I am new to this community so please help.

Untitled.png

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Hayton
Level 18

Re: Mcafee is detecting and deleting uninfected files

It's not deleted, just quarantined. You can find it by looking in the list of quarantined files in the Navigation section of Security Center.

However, if McAfee is detecting this as a Trojan you should pause before telling McAfee to trust this file. The only safe place to get the file from is from Valve (through Steam) so if you got it from one of the torrent sites it's very probably a Trojan, as McAfee says.

If you want to be sure, go find it in the Quarantine section and click the button that says Send To McAfee. If it's a false detection the labs should let you know it's okay.

0 Kudos
samishra21
Level 7

Thank you for reply Hayton,

I did the same as you mentioned in your reply, so after submitting the .exe to Mcafee, when can i expect the reply from Mcafee and will they reply on my registered mail-id ?

0 Kudos
Hayton
Level 18

See this section in the McAfee online help : the relevant bit says

You can send quarantined items to McAfee, where they are analyzed to create filter updates. When you submit a quarantined item for analysis, you are given an ID number so that you can track your request on the McAfee website : webimmune.net.

Game players are especially targeted by all sorts of malware. I just found an article about a phishing site aimed at Valve/Steam customers - "Free game offer leads to Steam phishing site"

Online gamers are often targeted with phishing schemes set up by crooks who are after users' in-game items and money, and the latest one to be spotted is aimed at Steam users.

The phishing page is a spoof of the official Steam Community webpage, sporting an "exclusive offer" : a free Valve game  ...

Message was edited by: Hayton on 05/11/12 14:04:38 GMT
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

In case that 'Send to McAfee' button in the Quarantine folder fails to work, which sometimes happens with certain ISP's blocking such trafiic, you can follow the hints I've laid out here:  https://community.mcafee.com/thread/2016

0 Kudos