cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

McAfeeRansomwareInterceptorWin32.exe

Jump to solution

I recently ( August 11, 2020 ) made an Account on the Steam "Gameroom Platform" but every time that I login on Their Steam Client Bootstrapper ( SCB ) , I get This "Error":  ( Photo 1 ) 

I did "contact" Steam Support but They stated that I should contact Microsoft because of the Error having, "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library", in It.  ( Photo 2 ) 

Looking over "SupportMicrosoft" I did not really find anything that was helpful but then looked over the Error again (ie. Photo 1 ) and noticed the, "McAfeeRansomwareInterceptorWin32.exe", within It and decided to try and see if McAfee had any "advise"?  

I did clicked on both "Abort" and "Retry" but the Error keeps coming up every time that I launch the SCB; so, should I try clicking on "Ignore"? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: McAfeeRansomwareInterceptorWin32.exe

Jump to solution

@Madhan  

Even though there were no true "Solution", I appreciated all the help and support that McAfee had done on this "Issue". 

View solution in original post

23 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Try reinstall mcafee

Highlighted
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 24

Jump to solution

Hello @pcolafladwd 

Please uninstall McAfee, run McAfee Malware Cleaner tool. Reinstall McAfee and check.

Ensure there are no pending Windows updates.

Let us know the outcome.

Regards,
Madhan M 

Highlighted

Jump to solution

@Madhan 

My Anti-Virus is Cox Security Suite:  Powered by McAfee; so, is there an "easier" way to use the MMCT without uninstalling anything? 

Highlighted
Message 5 of 24

Jump to solution

Hello @pcolafladwd 

The reason to uninstall is to remove if there are any corrupted files with McAfee and then re-installation will install files that are intact. This should fix the issue most of the time.

I believe that after uninstalling, you should be able to login to COX and download McAfee Security Suite. Kindly check if you are able to login to COX and navigate to McAfee Download page so that you can uninstall the current product from the computer, run McAfee Malware Cleaner and re-install from COX.

Regards,
Madhan M

Highlighted

Jump to solution

@Madhan 

I am 1 of 5 Devices' on My Dad's Cox Security Suite Account; so, I need to wait for Him to give Me the required Information to Download the CSS before I will "try" anything. 

Highlighted
Message 7 of 24

Jump to solution

Hello @pcolafladwd 

Please update us with the outcome after troubleshooting. 

Regards,
Madhan M 

Highlighted

Jump to solution

@Madhan 

Do I need to be connected to the Ethernet when Uninstalling Cox Security Suite?   

Do I need to be connected to the Ethernet when running the McAfee Malware Cleaner Tool?  

Can I use the McAfee Malware Cleaner Tool that I already Downloaded on Any Other Computer?  

Highlighted
Message 9 of 24

Jump to solution

Hello @pcolafladwd 

You don't need internet to uninstall Cox Security Suite. But, you need Internet[Ethernet or Wifi] to run McAfee Malware Cleaner tool. You can run the tool thats already downloaded from another computer.

Regards,
Madhan M

Highlighted

Jump to solution

@Madhan 

MMCT Results:  (Photo 1) 

Issue still exist after reinstallation of CSS: powered by McAfee:  (Photo 2) 

Steam's Response when I stated that I was going to contact You (McAfee):  (Photo 3)  Forum will not allow Me to Upload a 3rd Photo; so, This is what was stated by Steam:  

Message from Steam Support on Aug 17 @ 10:22am 
Products shipped on Steam are scanned for viruses before we make them available to download. The issue you are experiencing is most likely due to a false positive with the anti-virus software on your computer. Microsoft Visual C++ is generally necessary for many Steam games to run properly.

Anti-virus software commonly uses heuristic or fuzzy matches for virus or malware-like behavior and a side effect of this is that false positives can be common with some anti-virus vendors.

Our recommendation is continue working with your anti-virus vendor if you are concerned and want additional clarification on the issue they are detecting. You may need to exclude the folder containing the falsely detected executable from your anti-virus scanning in order to proceed using Steam or installing/playing the impacted product.

Please follow this link for more information.

If you have an unrelated issue please reply here and I'll be happy to help.

Best Regards,
Isaac

"this link for more information" Link:  
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4361-MVDP-3638
McAfee AntiVirus
McAfee AntiVirus incorrectly identifies some third party game files as malicious and will quarantine the files during the download process. This often results in the message "This game is currently unavailable" when trying to launch the game.

Unfortunately, most editions of McAfee AntiVirus have no way to exclude files from real-time scans, so the only work-around is to disable real-time scans. To do this, open McAfee and select "Virus and Spyware Protection", then select the "Real-Time Scanning" option and click the button labelled "Turn Off".

Once Real-time scanning is disabled, you can restore your game files by following the instructions to Verify Game Cache Files.

Real-time scanning can be re-enabled once you are done playing, but unfortunately this will re-quarantine the game files, requiring this process to be repeated.
"Verify Game Cache Files" Link:  
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335

I did not do the "Turn Off" Action that Steam recommended on doing before doing the  Steam's "Verify Game Cache Files".  I am doing a Full McAfee Scan on My Desktop and It is only about 12% Competed and not about to restart My Computer and try Logging back in to Steam's Boot Strapper to see if the "Issue" is finally resolved. 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community