cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dbackga
Level 7

McAfee keeps turning off, cannot run scan, and MVT cannot find programs on computer

Lately, McAfee has been turning off by itself on a consistent basis. I have run malware finders and such and as of right now my computer is clean. I have attemped to run a full computer scan on Mcafee but every time it gets an error before the scan even starts or my computer crashes while the scan is running. I have attempted to use the McAfee Virtual Technician but it cannot find the program on my computer and closes out. Can anybody give me some advice on what to do. I have done a complete removal and reinstall twice. Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Re: McAfee keeps turning off, cannot run scan, and MVT cannot find programs on computer

When you removed it did you follow

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

reinstall from your account.

That said did you ever have another AV installed before Mcafee and if so did you use its own removal tool before installing Mcafee?

0 Kudos
dbackga
Level 7

Re: McAfee keeps turning off, cannot run scan, and MVT cannot find programs on computer

Yes, that is the link I followed when I did a complete reinstall of McAfee. And I reinstalled it from my account. I got this computer brand-new in May as a graduation present and it has never had another Anti-virus installed.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

So it did not have a trial AV such as dell and acer have? Have to double check.

Can you set startup and recovery to not restart,. This so we can get a blue screen details if it occurs. (In system /advanced system settings/advanced)

What is the message you get prior to a scan?

0 Kudos
dbackga
Level 7

It probably did have a trial program. My uncle gave it to me and he probably upgraded the program prior to giving it to m

I'm not sure what you are asking me to do in the second part of your message.

The message I get is something along these lines (I can't remember exactly) "McAfee has encountered an error. Please try again later." There was no specific reference to what caused the problem it was very vague as in: "There was a problem. Oh well."

Update: My McAfee is acting very...um...bi-polar-ish. It sometimes runs fine, but other times it doesn't. The behavior changes after a reboot usually.

Also I have encountered two blue screens today (Registry Error 0x00000051). It directs me to uninstall the latest software or program. I downloaded several programs yesterday to help solve this issue (Java, Dell System Detect,  McAfee VT, Intel updates, and of course I re-installed McAfee. My gut tells me this BSOD has to do with the McAfee re-install, but I'm not sure.

Edit: I do know one or two of my computer crashes brought up a BSOd error 0x000000F4. And I have also recieved System Service Exception 0x0000003B , and 0x00000024

Message was edited by: dbackga on 10/26/12 4:34:51 PM CDT
0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Ok so as it was a dell probably had a trial of Mcafee. Is your version shown as DELL? IE a dell of top of the GUI when you open Mcafee?

Re the other stuff you are getting BSODs so forget what I said.

Your MCPR removal would have removed the trial stuff anyway so really next step is to call support and see what they say. If they want to remote and uninstall your current version let them as that is 1 step they need to see themselves. Ask for your issue to be escalated if no resolution and post your SR job number here and I will discuss the issue with the techs in our Monday call.

If you get the message again get a pic and post it here please.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 27/10/12 3:58:07 PM
0 Kudos
dbackga
Level 7

Ok I will do that. Thanks for your help, by the way.

0 Kudos