cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee causing a "problem" opening Word documents - not solved

In an earlier thread "McAfee causing a "problem" opening Word documents", a solution was posted saying that the problem had been fixed in a software update.  The poster recommended that a new thread be started if this was not the case.  Although my McAfee product is fully up to date I am still getting the issue.  

The original poster described the issue as follows which is the same for me:

For the past few months, whenever I open a Word document, I get the pop-up "The command cannot be performed because a dialog box is open."  If I select "ok", the document opens.  I read on the internet that anti-virus real time scanning can cause this and sure enough, when I turn off McAfee real time scanning, Word documents open without the pop-up.  Does anyone have any ideas?

My environment is Windows 10, Microsoft Word 2007, McAfee Internet security 16.0 R18.

I would be grateful if Sanjay (who posted the solution) or someone else could help me with this.

3 Replies

Re: McAfee causing a "problem" opening Word documents - not solved

@Flash53 

Please let us know whether the issue persists after reinstalling McAfee.

Regards
Siva

etkins
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 4

I have reinstalled three times, and each time, when I uninstall, the problem goes away.  Reinstall, the problem returns.  VERY frustrating, please help!

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 4

As you said RTS seems to be the issue try and this cannot be a full solution try excluding the word file as exclusion works for RTS but not for scheduled scans , Will be a pain but I am interested if that works.

Alternatively exclude the word exe file though that probably is a real long shot.

Only a suggestion till Siva returns

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community