cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sergey5
Level 7

McAfee Total Protection error No Virus Protection

McAfee Total Protection all of a sudden stopped working.  Started getting error that McAfee Full Scan could not be started and that my Computer is at Risk.  Called the help desk at MCAfee and spoke with useless people for almost 2 hours yesterday and they have tried to uninstall the software then reboot reinstall using the cleanup tool.  Then they told me that I had a virus on my computer and asked me to run a virus scanner and malware scanner which came back clean. then they had me run the cleanup tool again and told me to cleanup registry after the cleanup tool runs.  Which I did and it did not help again after the re-install the Virus and Spyware Protection does not get installed and states Your Computer is at Risk and Virus Protection: Not Installed.

found a post yesterday on this forum that dates back to 2011 and it talked about getting Microsoft Visual C++ redistributable removed from the computer and then having the McAfee software removed via cleanup tool and reinstalled after reinstalling and removing all the Redistributable versions.  I tried that as well and it did not help.  Can someone please help me as I am getting really disappointed with McAfee and Support they are providing.

thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: McAfee Total Protection error No Virus Protection

What operating system is this and is it totally up to date, including the latest version of Internet Explorer, even if you don't use it?

What other security software is present if any?

Have you been using any sort of registry cleaner lately?  If so, does it have a restore button.

As far as questions regarding Visual C++ etc. best to go back to Tech Support and give them the old SR# and ask for escalation to a higher level.

0 Kudos
sergey5
Level 7

Using Windows 7 Ultimate x64bit the system and IE are all up to date and no other security software preset on my desktop.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Then first run AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes Free both from the last link below and scroll down to the 3rd Party section.  Follow the instructions to make sure you get the free version and NOT the free trial.

Try running the latest MCPR from here: http://us.mcafee.com/apps/supporttools/mcpr/mcpr.asp (it was recently re-released so older downloaded ones aren't effective any more), reboot, try your reinstall again.

If not then tackle Tech Support again and this time make sure they escalate it.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Oh before running MCPR remove McAfee from the programs and features area in control panel. This will free up the licence used.That is if Mcafee is actually showing as installed.

0 Kudos