cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
john-at-rr
Level 7

McAfee-Thunderbird freeze problem back

Hi,

I run Windows 7 with Thunderbird 24.4.0 and McAfee Security Center. After the update of the latter yesterday, now Thunderbird constantly freezes each time a new folder is opened and when a new email has arrived. Demand of CPU power seems to have risen notably (fans are very loud often compared to before the update).

It seems the problems with McAfee Security Center and Thunderbird, which I thought were solved now have returned. This is very annoying and making it difficult to work properly.

Is there any awareness of this problem already - or do I have to wait a couple of weeks for this problem to be solved? I'm getting slightly tired of paying for a product with these constantly re-occurring problems.

Edit: And, by the way, I don't have any McAfee anti-spam add-ons in Thunderbird, and I have disabled scanning of attachments in the Security Center settings a long time ago. There have been a couple of new McAfee problems and updates since then.

Would be grateful for any advice or comments on all the above.

Regards,

John

Message was edited by: john-at-rr on 5/23/14 3:43:43 AM CDT

Message was edited by: john-at-rr on 5/23/14 4:06:26 AM CDT
0 Kudos
10 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: McAfee-Thunderbird freeze problem back

Please open a case with Technical Support.  It's free by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Meanwhile all we can suggest is turning off email scanning in real-time scanning settings.

0 Kudos
john-at-rr
Level 7

Ok, thanks for answering. However, I'm not sure I'll contact support. My patience is running out after all troubles the recent months. I'm rather thinking of abandoning McAfee now.

Anyway - thanks also for your suggestion about turning off email scanning - however, as far as I know, there is no such option in the Security Center settings. As I mentioned, I've already disabled scanning of email attachments and I can't find any other option for turning off scanning of emails entirely - no setting for that is available.

Regards,

John

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Open SecurityCenter

Click Virus and Spyeare Protection

Click Real-Time Scanning

Click Settings  (click image to enlarge)

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
john-at-rr
Level 7

Well, thanks... However - I can understand and respect that you have a lot of forum messages to answer, and you're a volunteer, which is admirable - still, I recommend you reading my previous messages a little more carefully. What you showed me is how to disable scanning of email attachments, which I twice already have written above that I've done ages ago.

What you told me first, was to "turn off email scanning" which I understood as something different, as opposed to just disabling scanning of email attachments. Turning off "email scanning" (scanning of emails entirely) is not available anywhere as a setting in Security Center.

Thanks for the effort, anyway.

/John

Message was edited by: john-at-rr on 5/23/14 7:54:32 AM CDT

Message was edited by: john-at-rr on 5/23/14 7:55:36 AM CDT
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Sorry I missed that bit.  A combination of being in a hurry and dimishing eyesight.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Here's another thread on the subject:  https://community.mcafee.com/thread/65304?tstart=0

0 Kudos
john-at-rr
Level 7

No worries - thanks for your trying to help, in any case.

/John

0 Kudos

Hi John,

Would you be kind enough to help us grab some logs from your machine for analysing why this issue got back again..! Let me know if you are ready so that I can make sure this issue is taken care at the earliest.

Regards

0 Kudos
john-at-rr
Level 7

What a shame - before I saw your message I unfortunately uninstalled Security Center and switched to Norton instead. So I guess any log information that once was there is now lost. Had I seen what you wrote before uninstalling, I would of course have provided any log info to you. However, let me know if I could provide you with any info with McAfee uninstalled.

/John

0 Kudos