cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adamhenry123
Level 7

McAfee Says I Have a Virus, But Cannot Locate It Or Fix It

I am trying to install a program (Tiger Woods PGA Golf 2007).  During the early stages of the installation process, I get a McAfee message that tells me McAfee has detected a trojan virus "on my computer" and it will be necssary for me to restart my computer so McAfee can take care of the problem (or words to that effect).  Restarting the computer does not do anything.  I still get the same message whenever I try to install the program.  Furthermore, I cannot install the program, because the installation process comes to a halt when I get the McAfee message.

So I run a McAfee scan on the instlalation disk (which is in my CD ROM drive).  It shows no problems on the disk - no virus found, no hostile objects.  Everything appears good to go.  And then the whole process starts all over again when I once again try to install the program.  If I remove the disk from my CD ROM drive, I will not see the McAfee message.  I also scanned the disk with MalAwareBytes and it showed nothing malicious on the disk.

I would really like to install this program.  Why would McAfee tell me there's a problem, prevent me from installing the program and yet be unable to recognize the problem, or fix it, when I open McAfee and attempt to get it to do something about the problem?

18 Replies
tusharkotwal
Level 9

Re: McAfee Says I Have a Virus, But Cannot Locate It Or Fix It

Hi,

If you already checked your CD rom and found noting then exclude your installation path so it will allow u to install it. But after that also scan your whole system.

0 Kudos
adamhenry123
Level 7

I am in Windows 7.  I don't have the slightest idea what a suite of projection is.  As far as I know, everything is current.  I have a brand, new computer here.  I bought it a month ago.  I checked Quarantine and there was nothing in there.

What I am thinking of doing is disabling McAfee and then installing the program.  Then I will enable McAfee, run a scan, and see what happens.

Good idea?  Bad idea?

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

As always...Thanks Ex_Brit 

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
adamhenry123
Level 7

Tushar -

How do I exclude my installation path?

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

There are no real-time scanning exclusions in the home product, yet - Tushar Kotwal please note.   See the link in my first post for what you can do.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 18/03/14 7:07:16 EDT AM
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Move thread to VirusScan  as a better spot for it.

0 Kudos
adamhenry123
Level 7

Look - I just want to get this program (Tiger Woods Golf) installed.  McAfee is preventing me from doing that.  Should I list the program as "Trusted" and then proceed with the installation?

Another option would be to uninstall McAfee and get another virus protection program that would hopefully not cause the same kind of problems McAfee appears to be causing at present . . .

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

I've already explained in that link in post #4 what to do.  At the present time the home product does not have a trusting feature, except in the case when something is identified as a PUP (possibly unwanted program), so unless it was identified as such, then you'll havr to follow the steps outlined in that link or completely uninstall the software and use something else in the meanwhile.

0 Kudos