cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Roxie-xO
Level 7

McAfee Problem: DAT out of date

Hi there,

This is the first time that I've used McAfee's Community Help, and seeing as so many other people have gotten positive help from here, I  thought I'd try it out.

I bought my McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2010 about 2 months ago, and I know I'm responding to this problem a little bit late, but if there's anyway to help, that'd be great.

When I downloaded it it worked out perfectly fine, however it wouldn't let me actually activate the program. Everyday I would get the same message, Hurry up and activate, and I would try but it never worked.

I got my CD and tried reinstalling it, but the same thing happened. I went to MVT and it said that my problem was that it was DAT out of date. So I tried fixing it, but every time I would re-scan, the same problem would appear. Every time I checked it before re-scanning, it would say it was Pending. But nothing ever happened.

I've looked through my computer to see whether I have other AntiVirus programs and such, but nothing.

So my question basically is, am I not able to activate it because the program is out of date or are they 2 separate problems?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
9 Replies
ajacobs
Level 12

Re: McAfee Problem: DAT out of date - Cannot Activate

I see that a moderator has moved your thread to our Home user area. Hopefully a product expert can help you soon.

0 Kudos
Dinz
Level 16

Re: McAfee Problem: DAT out of date

Hello Roxie-xO

Could you please provide me with the following details ;

What is the operating system of the computer ?
How is the computer connected to internet ?
Can you post me with a screen shot of the activation error you receive

Please get back to me with the above details , we can get this one resolved for you .

Regards,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community moderator

0 Kudos
Roxie-xO
Level 7

Hey Dinesh,

My operating system is Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 2.

And my computer is connected to the internet by a modem; Siemens SpeedStream 6520.

The first attachment is the Problem notice that I get that never seems to get fixed.

The second one is for when I'm trying to Activate the Product, however I never get activated even If I leave it opened for hours. The screen never changes, just that one.

Thanks for the Help,

Roxie

=]

0 Kudos
Roxie-xO
Level 7

Hey again,

Just wondering if there's anything that I can do. Since it's been a few days from the last post. I only have 5 more days of McAfee protection and I still can't activate.

Thanks,

Roxie

0 Kudos
sweety
Level 7

Hi ,
  First try ping download.mcafee.com ,check whether your getting good response

clear temp,cookies,prefetch

and then try activating mcafee in safe mode with networking check it works

0 Kudos
Roxie-xO
Level 7

Hello Sweety,

I tried out your suggestion, but unfortunately it did not work. On Command Prompt, ping download.mcafee responds correctly, however even in safe mode, I can't activated the product. I also cleared my cookies and etc.

Thank you for your suggestion anyway,

Roxie.

0 Kudos
k3tg
Level 14

You might want to do a uninstall via Add/Remove programs and reboot the computer. Then go to Useful Links at the top of this page and run the MCPR removal tool to completely remove any remaining traces of McAfee and reboot the computer.

Follow the instructions in this link and run the Preinstall tool and reboot and then insert your cd and try to install again. Let us know if this works for you.http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100119

0 Kudos
Roxie-xO
Level 7

Hey Tom,

Unfortunately this did not help either. Although now when I use MVT, it no longer shows me any problems, so I guess that was a plus. But I still can't activate the program.

I've tried almost about everything I can think of and everything that every one here has suggested, but for some reason the problem is still persisting. Has anyone else faced this problem?

Thanks again,

Roxie

0 Kudos
Roxie-xO
Level 7

Alright I take it back,

I'm now getting 2 problems from MVT,

Problem: DAT out of date

Problem: Product Update Required

But it can't fix either, and this time when I tried re-installing my product it didn't install properly, even when I tried 2 times. My Site Advisor won't install?

This is getting really annoying.
Upon installing shouldn't McAfee register my product key and names etc?

So confused about all this.

0 Kudos