cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee On-Access Scanner is a big hindrance

I downloaded McAfee Internet Security because I had a spare. For the first week, nothing was wrong, everything was well, and a bunch of potential malware were removed.

However, after that first week, MCAfee On Acess scanner program takes a huge amount of resources for such a beefy computer I have.

I run:

Intel Core i5-4570 CPU

GTX 660

8 GB 1333MHz RAM

1 TB 7200 RPM HDD

This computer is designed to be really fast and snappy, yet my daily tasks are always slower due to the fact that McAfee On-Access Scanner takes to 50% of CPU usage, I play games alot on this computer too. Normally I can run a game fine, but when I try now, the game takes forever to load and i get drastic reduction in performance- down to 2 FPS. I checked my hardware and it is running is good condition, but the process mcshield.exe is taking too much resources. It never usually did this until after a week after I got the product, and I want to keep this program on for security. Help?

PS. Games I play are multiplayer FPS'S like Battlefield 4(It usually gets 60-100 FPS on average... ichecked. )

Also easy web bvrowsing and opening of items takes much longer, something that shouldn't be happening with a wicked-fast computer.

McAfee programs are all up-to-date.

Thanks in advance.

Message was edited by: thunderbolt34 on 2/2/14 11:00:14 PM CST
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Re: McAfee On-Access Scanner is a big hindrance

It is possible the malware corrupted the Mcafee install. I would try the following

have you tried running MVT  at

http://mvt.mcafee.com

If no fix try a clean reinstall as per

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.e xe

and reinstall from your account

0 Kudos

The re-install of the program seems to have solved my issue. I get much smaller CPU usage(5-15%) and my gmes are playable at 60+ FPS

I will monitor the usage to see if anything happens. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Please do and also can you post the current security centre version?

0 Kudos

The Security Center version is: 12.8, build 12.8.908

However, the scanner seems to have jumped to 15-30% CPU usage on average, and is consistently staying there. I am still able to play, but at less FPS and more lag.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Monitor it for a day more then post a pic of the task manager and I will ping a tech to contact you via this thread.

You have no other scanners installed?

0 Kudos

My only scanner is McAfee. I deleted all my other antiviruses and such.

90% of my programs are using little CPU and Memory besides the target game and the scanner. I will keep in touch and  post a pic tomorrow.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

When you removed the other scanners which ones were they? The other scanners such as Symantec etc need to be removed via their own removal tools as they leave bits that can react with Mcafee.

Just a thought

0 Kudos

The scanners were removed completely via their removal tools so that is fine. This is a screenshot of Task Manager after ~30m of the computer being on:

TaskMgrMcAfee.png

This was the amount that McAfee On Access Scanner(The highlighted orange) that it was constantly using, and this is with ending all other programs I was using. It would go higher as the computer sat, but after 30 minutes or even less the computer would drastically slow down. When I first start the computer it was fine.

0 Kudos

Hi thunderbolt34

Did you try tweaking the settings in mcafee RTS for high performance rather than best protection. Also try changing the virtual memory allocation to custom -  min = 1.5xRAM and max = 3xRAM ; RAM size in MB.

Also it is normal for OAS to use more CPU when Running Graphics Intensive Games and Steam based Games as well. This is because more files and Data being trnsferred to the operating memory..!

0 Kudos