cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wixey
Level 9

Laptop shuts down after Quick Scan?

This has only ever happened twice, the second time being today, and I'm not sure if it's directly connected to McAfee or not.

After running a quick scan, with no issues detected, my laptop unexpectedly shut down afterwards. I always leave the box labeled "Switch off my computer if no threats are found" unchecked so don't think it was that, unless McAfee altered this setting with the latest 1790.0 Antivirus build. The laptop doesn't seem to be overheating either so I'm wondering what caused this.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Laptop shuts down after Quick Scan?

That is odd if you are really sure that no overheating is occurring, which would be the only reason that I can think of.   I can only assume that somehow the software isn't reading your choice of NOT shutting down after the scan completes.

Try running the Virtual Technician to see if it finds and corrects any errors:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

If that doesn't help I would go straight to Technical Support as they can troubleshoot that sort of thing directly.

It's free by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/02/14 5:39:43 EST PM
0 Kudos

Hi wixey

Were you able to reproduce this by initiating a Quick scan with the box unchecked. Am on Engine version 1784 and will update to 1790 to check if am seeing this.

0 Kudos
wixey
Level 9

Hi, thanks for the response.

I'm sure the "Turn off my PC if no threats are found during the scan" box was unchecked the first time, but I ran another Quick Scan after ensuring the box was unchecked and my laptop didn't shut down afterwards.

I've recently updated to engine version 1791.0 and will let you know if it happens again.

0 Kudos

I guess this issue is not because of McAfee. Some other product may be crashing resulting in a system restart?

You can check Windows Action Center to see if there was any crash and update this thread.

0 Kudos

Hi,

I am running on 1790 but not seeing the issue mentioned. Please check if the box next to Turn-Off my PC if no threats are fund during the scan is unchecked.

0 Kudos