cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrmet
Level 7

Is on-access scanner the same as real time scanner

I am currently running McAfee All Access (2014) and I'm getting messages stating that the On Access Scanner has been disabled, but when I check the GUI it says that I am completely protected (there are no problems).  It also says that the Real Time Scanner is running properly.

Thanks for any help on this.

0 Kudos
13 Replies

Re: Is on-access scanner the same as real time scanner

Is your Operating System Windows 8/8.1. if so please check status of Windows Defender and post back.

On Access Scanner is part of Real Time Scanning which scans files when they are opened / Edited / etc.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

I get the same in Vista very early on in the boot process but when I open SecurityCenter, all is reporting OK.

I disregard it.

0 Kudos
mrmet
Level 7

Actually I am running Vista... and after the error box goes away I can find no other evidence of this problem.  I cannot tell if it is running or not.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Open action center immediately after boot and watch it if after 90 secs it gives you a warning then the warning disappears after another 1-3 minutes this a know issue and can be ignored as long as McAfee security center top bar is green

0 Kudos
mrmet
Level 7

Ok, I don't mean to be dense, but where would I find the action center? 

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Windows Action Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

called windows security center should be found in the control panel

0 Kudos
mrmet
Level 7

I apologize for the delay, but I did as you said and I opened the windows security center as soon as windows started, and I initially saw that both the firewall and malware protections were off... but after a minute or so they both turned on.  I also noticed that as soon as they did turn on, my computer made that "da-dunk" error sound.  I do not know if one has to do with the other.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

What sound I do not remember you mentioning that. If Mcafee is green and no action centre errors all should be ok

0 Kudos
mrmet
Level 7

The reason I did not mention the sound is because I actually did not know the two were related... every time windows starts, I always hear that "error tone", but I never knew that it coincided with the security issue (until I had the  WSC open).  What originally prompted me to post my question was that I received (popped up) an error message that stated that the On-Access Scanner had shut down (which I had not seen before).

I hope I'm not making this more confusing.

0 Kudos