cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2harts4ever
Level 9

I keep getting Virus and Spyware pop-outs

Hi,

I have been using McAfee Multi-Access Internet Security as part of my Windstream Internet subscription on my HP Desktop running Win 8.1 since December 2014 and everything is working great.

Two days ago I purchased a Dell Laptop (Inspiron 5555) running Win 10.  I immediately downloaded and installed McAfee on the Laptop too. I notice when I start the Laptop that my McAfee icon takes much longer to appear on my Taskbar than it ever does with my HP Desktop.

After waiting for about 2 minutes and the McAfee Icon still hasn't appeared,  I connect to the Internet and sometimes I get two separate "pop-outs" P(one at a time)  from the lower right side of the screen.  Each is about three inches long, black in color with a Red circle on the end with an "X" inside it.  One says "Anti-virus" and the other would say " Virus".  They only pop-out for no more than 3-4 seconds apiece.

Any idea what these notification mean and are they from McAfee or are they connected to Windows 10 or Dell?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

0 Kudos
14 Replies
catdaddy
Level 20

Re: I keep getting Virus and Spyware pop-outs

At the request of Microsoft, All Partners/Security Vendors have been asked to (Delay) some 'Start-up" services to allow Microsoft processes to load initially. This is not specifically associated with Windows 10, however can be construed more so.

I might add that even though McAfee (Delays) certain components/processes. This does not include all of the Security Applications at 'Start-UP' In other words, the (Delay) of your McAfee Icon appearing in your 'Lower Tray', does not mean that you are less protected.

I hope this helps,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Did you remove any other 3rd party security software that may be installed by Dell?  Also I suggest you turn off Fast Startup as it prevents the machine from fully shutting down and can lead to software malfunctions.

Tutorial here:   Windows 10 Forums

Try running the Virtual Technician to check the software is OK:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

After observing Colleague Ex-Brit Suggestions. You may want to try running Malwarebytes (Free) for a second opinion,as it is highly recommended amongst us Moderators. To keep it (Free) DO NOT enable or activate the Free trial,or Pro Version.

Regards,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
2harts4ever
Level 9

Re: Re: I keep getting Virus and Spyware pop-outs

Hi catdaddy and Ex_Brit,

Good to see some familiar names again.  Thanks for responding.

I am glad to see McAfee is still protecting me even though it takes a few extra minutes for its Icon to appear on my Taskbar.  I just ran the Virtual Technician and everything is said to be okay.  I run Malwarebytes free weekly and it has not detected anything in my first couple scans since I got this new Laptop.

I also followed your suggestion and turned off the 'Fast Computer Start-up'  option in Power Options.

I am still wondering what causes these two pop-outs on the lower right side of my Display referring to Network Firewall and Virus Protection soon after starting up and before the McAfee Icon appears?

Once again I thank you for your continued help.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Re: I keep getting Virus and Spyware pop-outs

It's Windows 10 alerts.   Not sure if they can be turned off to be honest, I would have to research that.   It could be that Windows Security Center isn't talking to McAfee for some reason and in which case I think maybe you should involve Technical Support.

It's free of charge by phone and linked below.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Intel True Key/PasswordBox Support (alter country at top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

0 Kudos
2harts4ever
Level 9

Hi Ex_Brit,

Thanks for the added info about the Pop-outs.  I'll try to research it further.

Have a great weekend!

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Now that I think harder about those pop-outs the more I think they may be McAfee after all.....sorry for being vague.  I've just got 10 myself and it isn't my prime system (am in 7 at the moment).

When I get a chance later I'll boot into 10 and check it out myself.

Have a great weekend yourself ;-)

0 Kudos
2harts4ever
Level 9

Hi Ex_Brit,

If you find anything out please post back.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Will do.

0 Kudos