cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Maverick
Level 7

How to tell McAfee to trust a program?

Alright, well this is my first thread, and post for that matter.

Anywho, I'm not to sure where this would be located, and I don't know if this is the right place for it but, I would appreciate it if someone could assist me in solving my problem.

So I've had a program for quite sometime.  I use it everyday, theres a whole forum dedicated to it.  But not to get off-topic here, one day the developer of the program came out with a newer version for it.  I downloaded it, and proceeded to install it.  After installation McAfee removed because it thought that it was a trojan.  Which I am 99% sure its not.  So I proceeded to turn off McAfee's real-time virus scan, and I installed it, but sure enough once McAfee turned the real-time virus scan back on it removed it...  I am really starting to get frustrated.

So on to the topic.  There has to be a way to add this program to some list so it will not remove it.

All help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

0 Kudos
9 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: How to tell McAfee to trust a program?

Moved the topic to VirusScan 13.  You can only tell the SecurityCenter to ignore something that is identified as a PUP (Possibly Unwanted Program) but not as a trojan, worm or virus unfortunately.  We have asked repeatedly to have this feature reintroduced and thus far have not succeeded in convincing the powers that be.

Here's a sticky on what to do when something is wrongly detected: http://community.mcafee.com/message/6645#6645

0 Kudos
Maverick
Level 7

So are you saying that there is no possible way to have McAfee not remove a program?  Or do I have to submit it and wait for an update or something?  Or how to I tell McAfee to "ingore it"?

Message was edited by: Maverick on 12/13/09 4:21:33 PM CST
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

There is no immediate way.  If you submit it and they send you an email that it IS an infection then reply immediately keeping the header intact disputing that and they should, hopefully, send you an extra.dat.  I went through this a while back and the whole thing only took 48 hours.

0 Kudos
Maverick
Level 7

Ok, I'll submit it thanks, and whats an extra.dat?

Sorry if thats something really nooby.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Hey no problem...I was nooby once...LOL.

It's like a personal update that they send you.   Sometimes they just send out a general update for it to everyone.  They'll say what's happening hopefully.

Intsructions for applying extra.dat's are here:  http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100335&lang=en_US&prior_tid=2&AnswerID=16777216&turl...

0 Kudos
vonRasmussen
Level 7

Hi Ex_Brit.

From your replies above, I take than I am out of luck too. I need McAfee to skip a specific folder in it's continuous scan. It's a folder holding a huge database fro my DAM software, and the vendor tells me that performance will increase tremendously, it my virus scanner is ignoring that specific folder...

Kind regards

vonRasmussen

Message was edited by: vonRasmussen on 12/22/09 3:28:39 PM CST
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

With things the way they are now yes, I'm afraid so.  Sorry.

0 Kudos
vonRasmussen
Level 7

Hmm... All right. Hope this thread will be a source of inspiration for McAfee's developer team

Kind regards

vonRasmussen

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Believe me, we've bugged them constantly about that feature, or lack thereof.

0 Kudos