cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xena
Level 7

How to prevent McAfee SecurityCenter from quarantining a file?

I'm trying to download files for a game from Steam (the official Steam store) but everytime I attempt to do so, McAfee swoops in and decides to quarantine one of the executable files because it believes it to be a "trojan", thus rendering the game useless as it simply will not run without it. I reiterate that I trust this file: it's from a reputable source and I see no reason for it to be malicious. I have tried to restore it but each time I do it simply gets quarantined again. I've noticed how there is no way to allocate a file to the "Trusted Items" list which seems a little more than pointless. I've come across other posts on this site where people have the same or similar problem yet everything I've tried to do to resolve the issue so far has been fruitless. I tried emailing virus_research@avertlabs.com concerning the problem (N.B. giving the subject of the email as 'False' and then quoting the suspected trojan) but have not yet received a reply (>48hours later). The file was also deemed "too large" to be able to send it to McAfee for analysis. Should I just wait how ever many years It'll take them to update the Home software to allow the user to prevent McAfee from quarantining a file or what?

0 Kudos
22 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: How to prevent McAfee SecurityCenter from quarantining a file?

You can only tell the software to ignore something if it identifies it as a PUP (Possibly Unwanted Programme).  The ability to make exceptions generally was taken away from all consumer software many versions ago because too many people were wrecking their machines allowing risky objects into their machines and then blaming the software for the result.   Only the Enterprise software allows that now.

There are some steps you can take, however.

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/2016

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Moved thnis to the VirusScan section where hopefully someone may spot it.

0 Kudos
xena
Level 7

Thanks for the response. McAfee seems to identify the file as "Ransom-FCJA!B08D154D0168" which it calls a 'Trojan'. However when I click on it within SecurityCenter it takes me to a McAfee webpage but returns no results identifying what they think it is. I will try to send it to avertlabs but it seems like a lot of effort for something which should be easy to amend.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Try the GetSusp tool - it may work when files are too large for email submission.  Don't forget to enter your email in the Preferences to get a response from the lab.   You'll have to turn off protection and reinstate the file first of course..

0 Kudos
xena
Level 7

I sent them the file by email and got an immediate (and I presume automated) response but I'm not sure what to do now because they said instantly "The file submitted is malware that can be detected with current DAT files. It is recommended that you update your DAT and engine files and scan your computer again." I'm not sure what that means.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

That's excellent, it means they've got it and will analyze it.  It may be a while before you hear the final verdict and if they still regard it as malicious then respond with FASmiley FrustratedE in the header.   That script is merely a standard response so ignore it.

0 Kudos
xena
Level 7

Well, thank you very much you've been a great help. I'll post again if I have any further issues.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

OK, good luck ;-)

0 Kudos
xena
Level 7

How long should I expect to wait for a reply and verdict from them? I haven't heard anything yet.

0 Kudos