Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zbalai
Level 7

How to disable/turn off/get rid of popup: "Your computer is at risk"

Jump to solution

Dear McAfee

I've bought your "Internet Security" product.

I turned off Real-Time (realtime) scanning and now in about each 2-3 hours I get this "Your Computer is at risk" message.

I looked in your navigation and I've found  "Don't show an alert when Firewall is off", but nothing regarding Real-Time scanning.

As my most important assets are my time and attention this popup issue will be a McAfee show stopper for me.

You have time until 13.December 2011 to help me turn off this disturbing message or have one less customer.

thanks

Zsolt

PS: and no, I will not discuss why I turned off real time scanning. Its my choice.

Message was edited by: zbalai on 12/6/11 12:24:24 PM CST
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
k3tg
Level 14

Re: How to disable/turn off/get rid of popup: "Your computer is at risk"

Jump to solution

There is no way that I know of to turn off the message to not display the computer at risk message. You can contact Technical Support under Useful Links at the top of this page for clarification.

0 Kudos
29 Replies
k3tg
Level 14

Jump to solution

There is no way that I know of to turn off the message to not display the computer at risk message. You can contact Technical Support under Useful Links at the top of this page for clarification.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Why do you need to turn of your virus protection for so long?   OK I know you wont answer that.  That along with the firewall is what is protecting your machine and without one or both of them you might as well uninstall the software anyway.  Real-time protection is designed to warn simply because it's a security product.  To turn it off for a short time to install a service pack or something similar is understandable but for several hours is dangerous.   Good luck finding any antivirus that doesn't behave in a similar fashion.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 06/12/11 2:07:28 EST PM
0 Kudos
zbalai
Level 7

Jump to solution

Ex_Brit:

A good product gives choices in certain situations.

There is a settings checkbox  "Don't show an alert when Firewall is off" and another is missing  "Don't show an alert when teal-time scanning is off".

For 99% of your users its not a problem, I am in the 1%

Thanx for your quick answers anyway.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Good luck finding one then.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

What you are looking for may be found in Enterprise/Business products which require bulk licensing.  The Consumer/Home products are designed with the average user in mind and an average user may forget that he/she turned off antivirus, get infected and who gets the blame?  McAfee.  The Firewall is different simply because when it is disabled Windows Firewall is automatically activated.

0 Kudos
zbalai
Level 7

Jump to solution

Yes, you can have such a default popup message for normal users.

But if one finds the Navigation->Alerts->"Don't show an alert when Firewall is off" he is not a "normal" user anymore and can be trusted to turn off anything.

I find popups, especially "always on top" popups obtrusve, don't you?

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Well yes of course, but then I don't ever turn anything off for more than a few minutes.    I think it's a case of the developers not trusting average home users to act responsibly.  You have to remember that many people aren't very computer savvy.

0 Kudos
oshestak
Level 7

Jump to solution

Dear Ex_Brit! I was reading your posts on this forum. On every page you are trying to convince people that by disabling real time protection, the computer is at risk.

It is 100% MacAfee advertisement statement. If you use firewall, right browser and email program, if you do not open files you do not need to open, what is the risk? I think it is a policy of the MacAfee to get more customers and get more money. DISABLING REALTIME PROTECTION DOES NOT PUT YOUR COMPUTER AT RISK!

Wrongful actions of operator do put computer at risk!

Having said that, I am just shocked that I cannot disable a Real-Time and then do not see those annoying messages!

I am a subscription/ paid customer, and I deserve the right treatment! I really do not want to be reminded of something I already know!!!

Now, I have to disable RealTime protection because it is just using too much resources! Check other products on the market! Much better, using much less resources, much less memory!

When I do heavy calculations in my office, I am behind number of HARDWARE and SOFTWARE firewalls, and I do not really need to be told that I am at risk because I am not! During several years I run McCafee it found... 0! viruses or threats!

So I think it will be beneficial for everybody if we will start telling the truth, that the messages are the marketing way for the company to get extra subscribers...

Message was edited by: oshestak on 3/23/12 12:28:00 AM CDT
0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

It is dangerous not all or rather not many users are behind tight hardware firewalls and a lot are not privy on what files not to open. Real time protection scans everything that is copied or opened and does protect you against known issues.

We have 1 experienced user running RTS off as it clashes with a program he uses. He scans his PC regularly and is every experienced but all Mcafee users are not so knowledgable. No we are not advertising for Mcafee RTS should be on .

In 20 years I haven't got a virus past my protection but then I use safe hex.

How can it  (We saying so) get Mcafee more moneyhaven't  they already installed Mcafee?

RTS on My PC (mcshield.exe) is not a high usage program. (I suppose  the amount of ram and virtual memory also is a limiting factor)

You can add this suggestion as an idea. see my sigs. I do think it is already there as an idea. We mods suggested it many times so experienced users can disable it without the popups but I assume Mcafee is not happy with the thought of the normal user disabling the warning.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 23/03/12 7:47:02 PM
0 Kudos