cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I schedule a scan so that it starts as soon as my PC is switched on?

If I schedule for 4:00am and switch on later than that the scan does not start.  I am on the latest product as supplied by Plusnet . My PC is not on permanently but I do switch it on most days at irregular times. I am running W7 home premium 64 bit  AVG says and does have a feature that enables you to get the scan to start automatically on logon if the PC wasn't on at the scheduled run time

0 Kudos
14 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: How do I schedule a scan so that it starts as soon as my PC is switched on?

You can only schedule a scan by time and even then it may not start immediately due to it's built-in detector for hard drive activity.  If the drive is too busy it waits.   That can be somewhat eliminated if you set it to scan without using minimal resources by unchecking the box as shown below.

But that may effect other applications (games for instance).

(Click to enlarge)

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

If I may add to the discussion, I noticed you mentioned (AVG). I hope that it is not the case you have it installed as well? For running (2) Anti-Virus Applications at the same time, will cause Conflicts/Clashes between each other. And in the process could leave you susceptible to infection.

Running Windows Defender on OS Windows 7 Sp1 and earlier is okay. However with Windows 8/8.1 and above is not, as Windows Defender contains Anti-Virus in it on those systems. I might add also, you can (uncheck) the box under your (General Settings) "Wait till my PC is idle to run scheduled tasks like Scans, Automatic Updates, and Quickclean.

In my particular instance, I have my personal settings to scan at a time I know I will most likely not be using my computer, for example @ 4:00 am every Friday. However I make certain that I have my system on and running. You also have to make certain you have your "Power Theme" settings set properly, as it is allowed to return from (Sleep/Hybrid Sleep) to allow it to commence.

Making certain that your (Time) is synced properly matters as well.

To change settings in General settings, go to Navigations/ General Settings and Alerts/ click on General Settings and uncheck the box.  Again, if it is the case you have (AVG) installed. I recommend removing due to the reasons mentioned above.

To better understand your Products/Features and how to change and tweak them, you can always seek assistance from : McAfee Help . Simply select your Product. You can also do the same by, Opening your McAfee UI, click on (Help) then click on (Help) again. A pane should open with "Step by Step" Guide on how to use your features.

(Note)  On occasion should it not open, Kindly try again and it should. This is a known minor issue.

Also, McAfee does indeed at each Start-up allow Legitimate Windows Applications/Programs, while scanning for other Applications to make certain no malicious entities are loaded as well. In addition, if enabled Windows Defender monitors as well.

All the very Best,

Catdaddy

McAfee Volunteer Moderator

Consumer Products.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Actually go to navigation general settings and alerts and general settings and unselect the option to wait till PC is idle. that should fire up the scan very soon after boot.

It does allows starting on time so should do the start after boot as well

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Sorry Cd missed that

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

No problem PK, the more info is always better, I say 

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos

Thanks to everyone that replied.

as I though McAffe is not going to work for me. I use the computer spasmodically it isn't on all of the time sometimes for days on end and then at different times of day.

I don't have AVG running - I used to and used the setting allowing scanning on start-up or scheduled with a scan if the scan was missed. If I may say so; far superior to this product.

It is annoying having to wait for a scan every time I turn the PC on and having to start that scan myself

I will need to look for a better product

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

As CD and I mentioned you can set scheduled scan to start immediately the pc starts if a scheduled scan time missed . Wasn't this what you wanted? You can schedule a scan daily Though I feel this a bit severe.

also in real time scanning settings in startup settings there are two settings

Check for the most common threats during startup and

Check for all known threats during startup

was this what you wanted.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

If your machine is going to be off for days, the software, no matter what brand, will want to update as soon as it senses an Internet connection, don't forget that factor.   It should be up to date so that should be allowed to happen before any scans occur.

McAfee updates daily, not sure what AVG does.

When you've settled for one stick with only that one, having 2 antivirus applications installed at once can actually let infection in as they will interact with each other.   But I always advise some sort of anti-malware on hand as well.  Some suggestions in the last link below.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)

How To Uninstall/Reinstall McAfee Consumer Products EXCEPT Anti-Theft
How To Submit A False Detection To McAfee
Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

0 Kudos

Sorry just don't understand this

"Actually go to navigation general settings and alerts and general settings and unselect the option to wait till PC is idle. that should fire up the scan very soon after boot.

It does allows starting on time so should do the start after boot as well"

not clear why this would start McAfee scheduled scan if , say , I scheduled a scan for 4:00 am but booted up at 7:00am

to be clear everyone .... I am not running AVG on this PC

thanks

0 Kudos