cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nalikawi
Level 7

How can I stop my McAfee Internet Security program from conducting scheduled scans which interrupt my current application with a pop-up window, even though I've had scheduled scans turned off for months?

My McAfee Internet Security program interrupts my current application, sometimes multiple times a day, with a pop-up showing a scan, even though I have turned off scheduled scans for months.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
catdaddy
Level 20

Re: How can I stop my McAfee Internet Security program from conducting scheduled scans which interrupt my current application with a pop-up window, even though I've had scheduled scans turned off for months?

Moved to Virus Scan-By Moderator

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Re: How can I stop my McAfee Internet Security program from conducting scheduled scans which interrupt my current application with a pop-up window, even though I've had scheduled scans turned off for months?

If you have scheduled scans turned off then it's probably the real-time protection that is alerting you to possible danger.  A screenshot of the popup would help.

Meanwhile I suggest you run the Virtual Technician to see if it finds and fixes any problems.    http://mvt.mcafee.com/

If that doesn't help, Technical Support is free of charge by phone or online chat, see the link below.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

0 Kudos
nalikawi
Level 7

I ran MVT, it states that my real-time scanning is off (I turned it off), and that there is a registry entry that MVT cannot fix.  It does not tell me what to do about it though, and I don't see any additional information.  I'm familiar with editing the registry, but should I simply uninstall, reboot, then reinstall McAfee?

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

If you turn off real-time scanning then you effectively have disabled anti-virus altogether, leaving you unprotected.   Real-time scanning is not scheduled scanning, those are 2 totally different things.

If the software isn't working as it should uninstall via Control Panel > Programs and Features

Run the MCPR cleanup tool and reboot.

Reinstall from your online account.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

I forgot to mention, also make sure your system is totally up to date, including the latest version of Internet Explorer, even if you never use IE.   Other processes do use IE, including McAfee.    It doesn't have to be your default browser.

0 Kudos