cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
twistyman
Level 7

Get Virus has stopped.

OK this morning comp had message

"virus  scan has stopped working",, now I get this message 1-5 times a  month...I ran virtual tech and it shows nothing, and message is gone....

what is wrong, and why does this happen..

also  another anoyance...I set my comp to do scans at night when asleep...yet  a lot of times it scans during day hours and slows my comp down, anjd  takes hours

0 Kudos
13 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Get Virus has stopped.

Get virus?   Did you get an infection?   Also please post what version of the software is installed,by opening it and then clicking 'About'.   Also what is your operating system and service pack (if applicable) and, even if you don't use it, what version of Internet Explorer is installed  (open it and click Help/About).

0 Kudos
twistyman
Level 7

the "get" was a typo....

its virus scan that keeps showing up in message center as not being on....but when I open McAfee page its says all is OK.....

my OS is win 7..SP1

Firefox browser..

when I click IE it opens MSN page...but I think I just had update for win IE 10.

I'm comp stupid so have troubles ....

Message was edited by: twistyman on 22/09/13 1:46:05 EDT PM
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Open SecurityCenter and click About and tell me what version it is.  Some older ones you had to click Navigation and then About.

You may benefit from a complete refreshed software.  You could try the following:

Uninstall everything vie Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program

Run the MCPR cleanup tool and then reboot.

Go to your online account page and reinstall from there.

0 Kudos
twistyman
Level 7

where do I find sec center..

also I had to get remote help to install AV when I got it...I really dn't want to start removing stuff if possible.

0 Kudos
twistyman
Level 7

its version 6.1

build 7601 SP1

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

To open McAfee double-click the taskbar icon or open it from your Start Menu/Program list

Sorry what is 6.1? 

0 Kudos
twistyman
Level 7

I went into sec center which is replaced by action center on win 7..I opened the action center, clicked on security..then clicked on help and about windows...thats what came up.

when I open Mcafee pages it shows all scans...firewalls, updates are on and current..

I did see some articles here where others have same issue at start up and that it stops after being clicked on and opened...

I'm just going to continue as I am and see if this keeps happening and if so may try another AV brand..

my last  Mcafee subscription was perfect..never had an issue..I don't get why this 2013 one has been a problem.

thanks anyway.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Windows Security Center or Action center are totally separate.   I'm talkiing about McAfee SecurityCenter which should be listed in your installed programs.  Look in your Start Menu for McAfee, what happens when you expand that section click it to open it?

0 Kudos
twistyman
Level 7

0 Kudos