I have a Dell laptop with an Intel Core 2 2.0 GHZ processor. The hard drive is a 285 GB with 87.5 GG used space.
When Internet Security asks for a full scan it takes up to five days to complete, right now it's 50 % done and its been running since
Monday. I've ran Virtual Technician, which found no errors, I've removed McAfee Internet Security completely from the computer twice and reloaded with no
success in correcting the problem. I've talked to support and they did not seem to have a clue. Anyone else have a thought.
Please let us know what is the operating system installed in the computer ?
Do you have any other security software/virus scanner installed ?
What is the DAT version in security center ?
Do we receive any spyware pop up in the computer ?
Sorry I didn't get you all of the infor right away.
There isn't any other security software on the computer and the only pop up I get is the one saying that my computer is not fully protected and requires a full scan.
The DAT version is 5952.0000
See this thread, a user, bixell had tried to delete windows.old folder in C drive and the issue got resolved.
I've checked for any windows.old and there is none. I've also cleaned all old files and run disk check.
Tried full scan yesterday and its still running this morning having only completed 13% in 24 hours.
Any other thoughts.
Did you ever try to uninstall via Add/Remove programs and reboot. Then use the MCPR removal tool found at the top of this page under Useful Links and rebbot again. Then login to your McAfee account and download and install again. Maybe you had some corruption in the original installation that is causing your problem. You can also try the McAfee Virtual Technician which can scan your computer to check on the installed McAfee products to see if they are working. MVT can also attempt to fix anything it identifies. If still having problems try the Technical Support Chat again and see if they can recommend anything further. If you don't get any satisfaction at Chat, ask that your support case be escalated to the next higher tier of support. The initial level of Chat support sometimes the agent may not be as versed in what to do as perhaps the next level, so be patient and keep trying.
Here's how I fixed this problem on my computer (Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200S, 8GB RAM, 1TB HD, Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit):
IMPORTANT!! This worked for me but I can't guarantee it will work for you. I strongly suggest you make a full system backup before you try it, just in case it causes problems on your machine.
Open Windows Explorer and expand the "C:" drive.
Open the "Users" folder.
Check each subfolder for a folder named "Application Data".
Open the "Application Data" folder. If it contains a folder with the same name, delete that redundant folder.
Do the same thing in any "Local Settings" folder under any of the "Users" folders.
Go back to the "C:" drive, and open the "Documents and Settings" folder, and go through the same process.
DO NOT delete the first "Application Data" folder you come to; only delete the "Application Data" folders that are contained in an "Application Data" folder.
Empty the Recycle Bin before you start a scan.
After I did this, I completed a full scan in an hour and 11 minutes. Before, it took over twenty hours. I haven't seen any change in the way any of my applications work, and none of the redundant folders have reappeared.
It appears to me that those redundant folders are just pointing back at themselves, and cascade downhill for several iterations (I've opened them as deep as fifteen times!) Every time I step further down, CPU load goes up, and everything slows down. I have no idea where they came from. McAfee was scanning every file in the "Application Data" folders over and over and over and taking longer and longer to do it each time.