cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Scan -- 99% Done But Will Not Finish -- Why Is This?

Jump to solution

Each time I do a Full Scan, it goes well until it reaches 99 per cent and then just won't finish. It doesn't jam on the same file, but it always seems to be a C:\windows\winsxs\*.dll one on which it jams. Also, I can't stop the scan using the Cancel button, which won't work in these circumstances, but have to go to the Task Manager Services facility to turn it off.

Quick scans also jam up at 98 per cent, once on a McAfee .dll file, another time on a windows .exe file, and again had to be stopped via the Task Manager Services facility.

I have just done a right-hand mouse button-based scan on the C:\windows\winxsx folder, and that's worked fine.

None of these abortive scans have shown up anything nasty, and I've also used Malwarebytes and McAfee Stinger, also not showing up anything nasty, so I guess my machine is clean... but that's not the point. I would like my McAfee scans to work to 100 per cent as they are supposed to.

I am baffled. Does anyone know what I can do to get a full or quick scan to work properly?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Full Scan -- 99% Done But Will Not Finish -- Why Is This?

Jump to solution

I think things are working alright now.

I downloaded the patch, and this so far has cured the freezing of the scans.

I got on to McAfee about the MVT's showing of RTS not working: the technician took over my machine and ran a few things from his end; he said that RTS was working fine and, when I asked about the MVT message, he told me to ignore it.

Thanks for all the help from forum members here.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 16

Jump to solution

Actually there was indeed an issue about a year ago, that a (FAQ) was created for resolving it. Full/Quick scans would hang @ 98%/99% but would eventually complete. This particular issue was fixed as I understood?  May I ask what OS you are using, and the Version/Build of your McAfee Software?

The Software and Anti-Virus engine has long changed since then, and I cannot recall of any complaints of this occurring again, until of course you bringing to our attention now. Having said this, I am not even sure if the (FAQ) would be applicable. ( VirusScan stops scanning at 98% or 99% complete ).

You could try running the McAfee Virtual Technician and see if it detects anything, and attempts to fix the problem. McAfee Virtual Technician  Restart after running. Kindly provide us the information asked for above. Let us know if (MVT) found any problems as well.

During the meantime, I will delve deeper into this subject. Alternatively as well, if MVT does not resolve your issue, I think it would be beneficial to contact Technical Support, via Phone/Online Chat being by far the quickest.  https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/contact

Note:  If you feel the need to,you can (escalate) your case to a Higher Tier Tech.

If you would please provide us the (Service Request Number) for your case. Which by chance one of our resident Techs should pick up this thread and add to the discussion. It would go a long way in helping to try and resolve your issue.

Awaiting your reply back,

Cliff

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

Jump to solution

My machine is a Dell Inspiron 580 with 64 OS and 64x processor, I have Windows 10, version 1607.

I ran MVT and another problem emerged: the real-time scanning is apparently off, despite my Security Centre saying that it's running.

Below is a screen-shot.

A pop-up window did appear for a few seconds, and four CAB files were downloaded, shown on the second screen-shot. I have not opened them, as I have received no instruction what to do with them.

I ran MVT again, and the same message appeared.

MVT SS 1 Jan 17.jpgMVTa SS 1 Jan 17.jpg

Jump to solution

Sorry -- I forgot to state my McAfee details. They read as follows: Security Centre version 14.0, release 14.0 R11; Security Centre 15.0, build 15.0.2063, Affld 105, last update 21 December 2016; Antivirus 19.0, build 19.0.2043, last update 31 Dec 2016, engine 2846.0

Jump to solution

Did you try the fix shown in Catdaddy's 1st response reading in part "Virusscan stops.........."  ?

catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 16

Jump to solution

Your Affld # indicates your subscription is provided by a third party,and not directly from McAfee. What perplexes me is your Anti-Virus Engine version is correct, same as mine?  I guess it would not hurt to try that (Fix) I inserted, however I am not for certain if it is applicable in this instance.

I would suggest that you go to your Control Panel Programs and Features/Remove your McAfee Products/Restart. Then follow up to remove any remnants by running the latest MCPR Tool and Restart if asked. Then proceed to go to your account and re-install.

Please allow your system to load fully, it may even require a restart.  Then I would attempt to run a (Quick Scan). Kindly let us know if you still experience the same issue. If the case is indeed you do, then proceed to contact Support as I suggested earlier.

Thank you,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

Jump to solution

I've downloaded the patch and installed it, and a quick scan went correctly -- thanks for the tip. Hopefully that is cured.

The other problem is still there; I'll get on to the McAfee help-desk about it.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 16

Jump to solution

At least we have you capable of performing a Scan that completes. I assume the problem in which you are still experiencing, is being incapable of (Canceling) the scan? In certain instances depending on what files are being scanned, the software will not allow it to.

I sure hope that the (Hanging Issue) has not reared it's ugly head again...

I am glad that it was (Helpful). Kindly apprise us of what Technical Support has to say.

All the Best,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

Jump to solution

Good luck Paul 😉

Jump to solution

I guess this thread's main subject was answered?   So it could be marked as such?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community