cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exclude critical folder

I want to exclude one folder from the real time scanner. It tells me that this specific folder is critical and therefore it can't be excluded.

This program exclusivly has to work for me, but McAfee keeps interfering with the connection between this program and its database. Now this situation makes my computer not far from useless. Can somebody let me know how I can force this folder to be excluded?

Thanks on forehand,

Roelof

0 Kudos
10 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Exclude critical folder

I moved this to VirusScan from Community Help as that's what we are discussing.

Can you open SecurityCenter and click About and tell me what version the SecurityCenter is please?   Only the latest versions have limited file exclusions.

It used to be a feature of the software until about 8 years ago but due to people forcing it to ignore malware-laden files they were using though their file-sharing networks, and other reasons, McAfee axed that feature.

If the software is incorrectly identifying legitimate software as malware then you should read here: 

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)

How To Uninstall/Reinstall McAfee Consumer Products EXCEPT Anti-Theft
How To Submit A False Detection To McAfee
Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Removal Tools

0 Kudos

Hi and thanks for the quick reply. Here's the info you're asking for:

McAfee SecurityCenter

V. 12.8

Build. 12.8.985

Affld. 649

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

That version doesn't have File Exclusions, but depending on your operating system you should eventually get it as the software upgrades.  

I say that because if you have XP then 12.8 is as high as it will ever get.

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Just to add to Fellow Moderator Ex_Brit comments, judging by your (Affld # 649) you did not purchase directly from McAfee. And in most cases the Version Upgrade lags behind due to your Provider,s prerogative. And as Ex_Brit stated, this does not include Windows XP.

Just thought I would add that Tidbit.... Also,is this particular folder a critical Windows/McAfee Core Component?

Regards,

Catdaddy

McAfee Volunteer Moderator

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos

I have purchased McAfee InternetSecurity via McAfee.com. There was a pre-installed version on my Sony VAIO that I decided to continue. This computer is running the latest version of Windows.

This folder is not a specific Windows/McAfee Core component. It's a folder containing the program that I use for handling my appointments with my clients (www.pioneersoftware.co.uk). The producers of the program that is giving me errors came up with this: These errors look like they come up when the ClinicOffice service is interrupted. This is the "middle man" for ClinicOffice to access your data. If anything interrupts this service, this error can occur.

Appearantly McAfee disturbs the communication between the program and its database (elevatedb).

At the moment I have turned off realtime scanning, This makes my computer vulnarable to threads.

Can anyone come up with an enlightning thought?

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

@ roelofwielinga,

You could try following the Guidelines/Instructions listed in this link:

Upon submittal you should receive a confirmation that your File/Program is being Analyzed. You also should receive back a Anaylysis ID #, save that for future reference.

I might add, it is not wise to turn off your RTS.

Regards,

Catdaddy,

Volunteer Moderator     

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

OOPS !!! Just noticed Fellow Moderator Ex_Brit already suggested to submit the File/Program mentioned here-in.

Sorry Ex_Brit.....

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos

It's always good to hear it twice :-)

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Hi again,

I suggest you contact Technical Support - 1st link in my signature below for help with getting the software running smoothly.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)

How To Uninstall/Reinstall McAfee Consumer Products EXCEPT Anti-Theft
How To Submit A False Detection To McAfee
Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Removal Tools

0 Kudos