cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer won't even start OS (post) after running virus scan

I have a brand new Dell latitude e6420, to which I added Win7 ultimate 64-bit, 8GB of RAM (came with 2gb + vista basic...), and updated most drivers and Bios to the latest. All seemed to be well - updates ok, internet ok, burned a DVD,...

All was well, until McAfee (the trial version - I have paid McAfee product on my other machines, but thought I would get the value out of the trial on this one for a few months...) launched a virus scan. I left the computer (not plugged in, but the new battery was fully charged), and came back a few hours later to a black screen with white text on it, something to the effect of not being able to reach ... something ( boot sector? protected area? ... arrgh, something I wish I'd written down...). Unfortunately, I was in a big hurry, so I turned off the computer with the power switch thinking I would check out the error when I came back.

Unfortunately, all that happens now when pressing the power switch is the keyboard light and power switch lights turn on for about 5 seconds, then turn off. That's it. No hard drive action, nothing. And... no error message to read :-(

I removed the hard drive and verified it seems to work fine connected to another PC (backed up my data off of it).

I swapped back the original 2GB memory in the computer, but no difference.

I can't use the windows or other CD to boot from since the CD tray won't open.

Light sequences:

With battery only: power button + caps lock lights go on for 5 sec, then off

With battery + AC, or AC-only (no battery): Battery light goes on for about a second, then off, then the power button + caps lock lights go on for 5 sec.

Thoughts on how to recover? I was wondering if the latest McAfee virus scanner was incompatible with the latest Bios (A21 I think).

Thanks...

0 Kudos
5 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Computer won't even start OS (post) after running virus scan

You can't boot up at all, even Safe Mode or better still, 'Last Known Good Configuration'?.  That menu is usually reached by tapping F8 repeatedly as the machine boots up or in the case of some Dell netbooks/laptops, holding it down.

The BIOS should make little difference to McAfee.  You can't even get the boot sequence to start from what I understand and as the DVD tray wont open you can't do a System Repair or initiate a System Restore to an earlier state using a System disk.

Technical Support at McAfee is now free both by phone or online chat which you could try.  It's linked under Useful Links at the top of this page but I'm not too sure they can be of much help if the system is dead.  Worth a try perhaps.

My first thought is that whilst scanning something, possibly hardware, failed for whatever reason or the machine went into a sleep or power saving mode and forced the scan to stop in mid-stream thereby corrupting data.    This is also happening with the power cable plugged in?

You might try removing the batteries for a minute or so and then remounting them.   That might reset something (what I have no idea).

I must admit I am simply guessing here, but I think if it were me I'd take the machine into a PC repair shop for a once-over.

I have a Dell Mini Laptop that I hardly ever use and am racking my brains here on other possibilities that might work here.

If it's still under Dell warranty they may have some suggestions on how to restore to factory from a dead state, which would seem the best option here.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 22/11/11 7:30:38 EST AM
0 Kudos

Thanks, I will try the support links.

Yes, no safe mode, no last good config, F8 tapping is only for finger exercise, it's dead.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Even if you hold it down as you boot up, that's too bad.  I'm wondering if the battery is wonky.

0 Kudos

Chat with tech support = "something got corrupted". So, I will try to go through Dell or a pc repair place and fix whatever got corrupted, reinstall everything,.... Ugh...

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Ugh indeed.  I'm so sorry, if only I had a magic wand.

Good luck.

0 Kudos