cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
angrod
Level 7

Can't turn on Real-Time Scanning

Well, I got a notification from Windows today, it told me that I had no anti-spyware programs and I thought it was really weird.

I went to the action center, to my surprise McAfee Virus and Spyware Protection was set to "Off", I tried to turn it on but it wouldn't let me, then I opened the Security Center, it gave me the option to turn it on, but after turning it on it automatically deactivated. I read a lot about the situation and some said you had to go to Navigation -> Real-Time Scanning and from there I could turn it on.

I couldn't even navigate to the Real-Time Scanning menu.

Now I've checked the Action Center in the Control Panel again and it says the status is set to "Snoozed".

I'm running this on Windows 8.06b29361bc3057856853eab09c8f4e5d.png

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Re: Can't turn on Real-Time Scanning

Three thoughts before I suggest you call support

1. Run MVT the virtual technician

mvt.mcafee.com and see if it can fix the issue note the MVT session number

2. Have you ever had another antivirus installed or malware scanner than has real time scanning ability. If so run the Av's own removal tool to clear up left over bits of the program and if you have a paid version of say malwarebytes or another scanner disable the real time component as it will clash with McAfee.

3. Try an clean uninstall reinstall as per the link in my signature and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

and reinstall from your account

If no joy Call support the link is in my signature

Ok maybe before calling run some of the free scanners mentioned in my sig as well. If you install malwarebytes do NOT install the free trial of the premium version.

Tony

Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)

How To Uninstall/Reinstall McAfee Consumer Products EXCEPT Anti-Theft
Free Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Removal Tools

0 Kudos
jaspw
Level 7

I've been trying to deal with this same problem. It just happens on one of our three laptops installed with McAfee Total Protection. Several reboots and re-installs and full scans later, I still find the problem coming back on this one laptop (MS Vista - up to date with MS updates too). I suspect originally caused by malware that was installed with a fake Java update prompt some weeks back, as the user remembers the occasion and from the description is was not a true Java type dialog box, but this is only circumstantial unless others can bear witness. Its driving me around the bend. I thought I'd defeated it when I managed to find some malware through running Malwarebytes that McAfee had not found, but I'm still in the loop. At a loss what to do next time except perhaps subscribe and install MalWare Bytes for good and hope it runs happily alongside McAfee. The unaffected laptops run Windows7 on same network.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

I have Malwarebytes Pro installed and no issues, but I usually recommend to people just to use the free one and keep it updated.

There are some other tools and suggestions in the last link below and of course the last resort once your infected machine is clean of course (unless you want to pay for professional virus removal by the McAfee department that does that), would be to approach Technical Support, it's free by phone or online chat and linked below.

The first step would be to try running the Virtual Technician http://mvt.mcafee.com/ to see if it finds and fixes any issues.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

0 Kudos
arazusta
Level 7

I seem to be having the same problem here, Real Time Scan won't start, I've tried the suggested things on here starting with MVT, Uninstall/Reinstall while using the full removal tool, I've tried the rootkit, the Security Center option and last but not least the windows restore but nothing seems to work.

I've also tried other scans and my system doesn't seem to be infected with any thing or at least nothing is being picked up, any extra help/ideas are very welcome.

Regards

ArazustA

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Do you have any other security software installed?   If you've tried all that I would suggest calling Technical Support, it's free.  The link is in my signature in my post above.

0 Kudos

Is this Saas as Security service product or VSE?

It looks like SAAS.

You could run the tool rootkit remover tool from

http://www.mcafee.com/es/downloads/free-tools/rootkitremover.aspx

Please, let me know the product and the result after running the rootkit remover tool

Best regards,

Jose Maria

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jose what makes you think it is SAAS it (the OP's post) mentions Security Centre and the action centre name for the McAfee AV is the same I have for my consumer version. Posting in consumer is a hint but we do get errant posts in the wrong forum thus could you enlighten us as we are not familiar with the corporate products and it would be good to know for future posts..

Angrod please confirm the product

0 Kudos

Well, to be honest I don´t know anything about consumer but the interface is similar to SaaS as a service that is why I want to make sire which product we are talking about. As well, it is not the first time that a wrong product is posted in the section.

By the way, this synthom can be caused by a rootkit, so it is aplicable for all McAfee products so it would be nice as a first thin to run the tool, as not harm will be made. I have been working in McAfee for 3 years and half and I found this synthom in many occasions and the problema was that Machine was infected with rootkit.

Best regards,

Jose Maria

Peacekeeper
Level 20

Thanks Jose I know you worked for McAfee that was why I queried you. We will see what the poster says. Thanks for your comment.We include the rootkit remover in the free Anti virus software link I p