cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wxscan
Level 7

Can't Install VirusScan Plus 2009 3-User

When attempting to install McAfee VirusScan Plus 2009 3-User version, it says I need to remove Spybot - Search & Destroy. I uninstalled Spybot using the Control Panel, deleted its folder in Program Files, and deleted its folder in Application Data. I also ran CCleaner and restarted the computer several times but McAfee still says I need to remove Spybot. I don't know what else to do. I'm trying to install from a box version but I used the recommenced setting of downloading the most current version of McAfee online.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Thank you!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
BalaSGS
Level 7

RE: Can't Install VirusScan Plus 2009 3-User

Hi,

Kindly click on the below link and perform the steps to uninstall the spybot search and destroy.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html

Restart the computer
Try to download the Mcafee products
0 Kudos
wxscan
Level 7

Thank you.

I followed the instructions on that page and McAfee still says I need to remove Spybot. I also tried reinstalling Spybot and removing it again but that did not help. I also removed the Spybot entries from the registry. After several restarts, McAfee still asks me to remove Spybot and it will not continue to install.
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Go to Start/Run and enter regedit hit the Enter key.
Go to:
HKEY LOCAL MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS/CURRENTVERSION/UNINSTALL

Find any Spybot or Safer-Networking key, delete this key, close the Registry Editor and try the installation again.

Be careful to only delete those keys.
0 Kudos
wxscan
Level 7

It worked!

Peter,

I can't thank you enough. I deleted that registry key and McAfee's installation continued right away. After installation it never prompted me to register and my account said I was expired. When I right clicked on the McAfee tray icon and clicked on Product Setup, nothing happened. So I searched the forum and found this topic: http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/showthread.php?t=226700&highlight=register

Now everything is working and my account has the correct expiration date. You can move this to the solved board if you would like.

Thank you again!
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Glad you are OK now.
0 Kudos